CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

EARLIER THAT DAY 

Granville called on Sophie early in the afternoon and rang the bell.

    The door was opened swiftly as though he had been expected and he took a step back at seeing a very familiar and unwelcome face. He was both surprised and extremely put out.

    ‘Mrs Possimer! What the hell are you doing here?’

    Mrs Possimer’s expression was supercilious.

    ‘I am Mrs Vallentine’s housekeeper,’ she said evenly. ‘Will you step into the hall, please, sir. I will see if Mrs Vallentine is at home.’

    ‘Damn you, woman,’ he blurted out. ‘This is an imposition and I want an explanation of it.’

    He was further annoyed to see that she did not flinch at his sharp tone. Throughout their previous association she had always been subservient, if not obsequious.

    ‘Let us not keep Mrs Vallentine waiting,’ Mrs Possimer answered with calm. ‘We can discuss my position later.’

    Her calmness seemed now almost like rudeness.

    Without another word the woman turned and entering the drawing room, announced him.

    ‘Mr Frederick Grandville to see you, ma’am.’

    Granville gritted his teeth as he strode passed her into the room and she closed the door behind him.

    He had not seen Mrs Possimer since the night he had been attack by Eleanor Wellesley. He had had no doubt it had been she who had spread the rumour of a female attacker.

    The man he had sent to send her packing had reported her tearfulness and pleading to be given a reference so that she might find another position.

    Since that day she had ceased to exist for him and now here she was, as large as life, keeping house for his sister.

    ‘Freddie, I’m so glad you’re here,’ Sophie said eagerly. ‘Is there any word from Lord Langdon?’

    ‘What is that damned woman doing here?’ he demanded to know.

    Sophie wetted her lips. ‘I could not avoid it, Freddie. Mrs Possimer reminded me that she had seen me at that awful lodging house with Sir Edward. She threatened to tell the broadsheets, and with his murder still heralded I felt it wiser to submit.’

    ‘Blackmail!’ he barked. ‘You have submitted to blackmail?’

    ‘It is hardly that,’ Sophie said, defensively. ‘All she asks is employment and a decent wage. She is an excellent cook and a most attentive servant.’

    ‘Sophie, she is not to be trusted,’ he said forcefully. ‘I dismissed her from my employ for gossiping about...’

    Sophie waited but he did not continue.

    ‘It is all very well for you, Freddie,’ she said petulantly. ‘Men can weather scandal, especially if they are as wealthy as you are. A woman in my position must do what she can to protect herself.’

    ‘Sophie I fear you will regret the day you took her in,’ Granville said. ‘Take care with all your letters and documents. She may be looking to find other ways to part you from your funds.’

    ‘Never mind about her, Freddie,’ Sophie said impatiently. ‘What of Lord Langdon? I have been so worried of late that he has discovered my secret.’