Chapter 26 - Elizabeth

Mr. Darcy had gone away and Colonel Fitzwilliam soon followed. A sort of melancholy descended on Rosings, and Lady Catherine was in need of much consolation, which Mr. Collins was eager to provide for her. The rest of us, of course, were decidedly dragged along, even if our own spirits were wanting.

"Cousin, I expect you will make yourself well and healthy for this visit—Lady Catherine must not be disappointed. She requires entertainment and we must provide it," said Mr. Collins.

True, there was much that I could entertain Lady Catherine with. I could recount her nephew's dealings in the matters of the heart. I could tell a pretty tale about how he proposed to me just recently and, had I disregarded my feelings on the matter, I would in a short time call her aunt. Surely, this would entertain Lady Catherine and everybody else at the table to no end.

I gathered all my anger at Mr. Collin's orders and locked it away. With the departure of the gentlemen, there was not much I needed to fear in that house, but every inch of Rosings seemed to know my secrets and echo them back to me. The park was a glorious reminder of Mr. Darcy's quaint little statements about marriage, and the rooms of Rosings made me remember his love for the house. I walked through it all with the newfound knowledge of what those speeches had truly meant and wondered how I had missed his intentions. I must have been too blinded by my hatred of him to think that he might feel anything but hatred towards me.

The proposal had seemed like an evil jest. The more I thought about it, the more I expected that, had I given my agreement, Mr. Darcy would turn on me and laugh at me. But that was the version of Mr. Darcy that I had created in my head—a caricature villain trying his best to shower me with humiliation, while I was the wise heroine that danced happily away from all his plots through the virtue of good morals and humor. What an impetuous and senseless girl I have been. Had Mr. Darcy truly wanted to harm me or wound my pride, he had wasted a lot of opportunities to do exactly that. Still, it was too extravagant to believe that Mr. Darcy had so many warm feelings towards me that he had done what he had done. And without him here to be a constant and sad reminder, I could have sworn I imagined the whole thing while in a fevered dream.

"I am sure I feel their absence exceedingly," admonished Lady Catherine. "I always feel the loss of friends so keenly as nobody else. The only person who could match my sorrow at their departure was Darcy, who had apologized profusely for being called away and taking Fitzwilliam with him. They had to go together on an extremely important vampire business and nothing could be done to prevent it."

The proclamation made my cheeks color. Not only was at least some of it untrue, but I was rather sure Mr. Darcy had fled my presence exclusively. It was too shameful to dwell upon, so I eagerly tried to think of something else.

Lady Catherine saved me with another inconvenience. "Miss Elizabeth, you must write to your mother and beg to stay another month."

"I am sure my mother would not mind, but my father requires my presence."

"Nonsense. Fathers can care nothing for the presence of daughters. If your mother can spare you, then there is nothing whatsoever at home to tempt your speedy return."

"I have received a letter from my father urging me to not delay, therefore must depart as expected."

"And you are taking Miss Maria with you? What a pity. She could have used more time at Rosings. There is nothing that can improve a young woman so much as good company." There was no point in arguing with Lady Catherine, so I bit my tongue. Seeing that I would not produce a response, she continued on, grilling me on our plans for the journey and finding fault in every possible crevice. Thus showered with advice, which sometimes contradicted itself, we went into dinner, after which I expected to be put at the piano for the rest of the evening, but Lady Catherine did not wish me to do so. Perhaps, with the removal of the gentlemen, there was no real need to endure my poor playing.