Chapter 33 - Darcy

Hertfordshire was not predisposed to much change, and the minutest adjustments in its people and surroundings were considered a matter in need of discussion by its inhabitants. Therefore, my recommendation was that we go to Longbourn first thing before we were swept up in conversations of this sort with every single neighbor. It was, after all, not for them that we had come, and our purpose was very specific.

"Surely they hate me heartily at this point." Bingley tried to dissuade himself of his good standing, doubt being his ever-present companion these past months.

"Do not underestimate Mrs. Bennet's blindness towards all your flaws." I had made sure that Bingley looked just as presentable as he did last time that they saw him, and no internal change that had happened during the separation was visible in his eye or his cheek. Nobody would dare say a single bad thing about Bingley or abuse his character.

"I am sure of the mother's love, but it is the daughter's love that I wish to secure."

Miss Bennet was not built to produce any feelings of hate. If she was hurt by Bingely's actions—by my scheme, which insured Bingely's actions—she was soon to be too preoccupied by his vows of love to let any past injury show. And if she did, I recommended flowers and groveling.

"Walk in there and be your cheerful self. The circumstances will reveal themselves immediately and we can adjust the plan as needed. Mark my words, Bingley, you will be engaged within a fortnight."

He may have marked them, but he was still a nervous wreck, impatient now that there was something to look forward to. I tried to impart to him that there was no need for haste and waiting to familiarize himself with the landscape of feelings was paramount. It would not do to throw the proposal at Miss Bennet the first chance he got—I spoke from some experience.

Entering Longbourn was like stepping into a world of curiosities. It was not a place one would choose to exemplify style and beauty, but to me, it was a fairyland where my darling witch grew up and lived. Every bit of wall and furniture held some imprint of her and I could imagine her rounding a corner and walking up to me with a smile—the kind of smile I had not yet been worthy of but hoped to be granted one day.

My imaginings proved to be too fruitful, for when we were shown into the parlor, there she was—Miss Elizabeth in the flesh, surrounded by her family. I had a nasty habit of conjuring her in unexpected places, but no matter how frequently it happened, I was without fail dumbstruck every time. Greetings were exchanged and all I could do was stare and choke on all the questions I wanted to trip over.

"Mr. Darcy, I suppose you will be wanting your sister," Mrs. Bennet addressed me, and my eyes, still on Elizabeth, turned from surprised to stern. It seemed my darling witch had misbehaved in my absence. True, I mentioned encouraging Georgiana to leave the house, but this was a bit further than I hoped they would go.

"Yes, I would be much obliged if you could bring me to her." I was still looking at Elizabeth, and every feature of her face showed she was conscious of her fault and deserving of my displeasure.

"Please, Mr. Darcy, if you would follow me," Elizabeth said and walked out of the room. I followed, leaving Bingley to his own devices. I had much bigger problems on my hands than a lovesick puppy and the object of his affection. While he would seek to woo his Bennet girl, I would have to do my best not to throttle mine.

Elizabeth led me into a morning room, now strewn with shadows, and closed the door. A few steps into it let me ascertain that my sister was not present, so I simply stood and waited for an explanation, growing more impatient with every passing moment. Elizabeth was fidgeting, unable to bring herself to speak, and it was all I could do not to start screaming at her.