Chapter 32 - Elizabeth

Mr. Darcy wrote to his sister that he might be away longer than intended. I was attentive to any transformation that might befall Georgiana, but she was unchanged by the news as far as I could tell. Of course, this meant that I would probably miss Mr. Darcy's return, my aunt and uncle collecting me before his return. There were some feelings of sorrow in my chest about that because I did not know when I would see him again.

"Mr. Annesley has gone to bed," Georgiana announced, reentering the parlor.

"Does that mean you must retire as well?"

"No. I am very good, you know, to be trusted once in a while."

"I am sure there is not a thought in anybody's mind to distrust you."

"That is not entirely truthful, but I appreciate you thinking so."

I had no reason to think otherwise. In my presence, Georgiana was almost cheerful and there was much liveliness to her features. Both Mrs. Annesley and Mrs. Reynolds remarked upon her improvement, attributing it to my influence. It was doubtful that my presence alone could bring good health to a vampire, but I supposed some company might not be entirely without its effects.

A young maid entered the parlor. "A letter for you, Miss Elizabeth." She left with a curtsy, leaving the letter in my care, though it was more of a note. It read as follows:

My dear Miss Elizabeth,

I must encroach on our friendship and beg for your assistance. Meet me at the Grand Oak in Pemberley Wood. Tell no one, for secrecy is of utmost importance. I have your sister Lydia with me, but you are welcome to leave with her as long as you bring me my lady. I so long to be reunited with Miss Darcy, and time is of the essence. Hurry!

Your affectionate friend,
George Wickham.

I looked up from the page with an expression of terror on my face nothing could mask, which startled Georgiana, but I could say nothing to comfort her. Words escaped me; I could hardly breathe. She came to me and, failing to elicit a response, took the letter from my hands and read over it. I remembered too late to deny her access to the heinous message. Within moments, her terror mirrored mine.

I collapsed in the chair, sure I would faint any moment—the feelings so overwhelmed me. Normally, I was not a fainter, but likewise I had never received such dreadful news upon which one way or another I had to act with some immediacy. I would do just that when I regained myself enough that I could stand.

Lydia. Wickham. The woods.

Georgiana, no doubt unaccustomed to comforting others, pressed a glass of liquid into my hand and urged me to drink. It was a strong wine I had not known was to be found in the room. She pressed me to drink another such glass, and the world somewhat righted itself, even if my horror at the situation was ever-present.

I made myself speak. "Who should we call? The butler?"

I was not that intimately familiar with the male servants and whether their discretion and prowess were up to the task. Somebody had to be present to defend the house from any trouble and we should apply to them directly. There was a threat of the acutest kind, and I, directly disobeying Mr. Darcy's instructions, had subjected Georgiana to the monster from her past.

"The direction was to tell no one," she reminded me, which was a completely nonsensical thing to base our further plan of action on.

I shook my head. "Of course, he would want that—for us to meet him helpless. At night. In the dark. In the woods. It is inconceivable that we should comply. Nobody in their right mind would ask such a thing."