One

[ Show-off ]
_____

10 years ago

"Pass the ball!" Riyo called trying to catch Aomine's attention.

They were playing a two-on-three street basketball game against some of the neighborhood kids.

Aomine, who was dribbling past the two kids that were doubling him, glanced at his best friend. She was running toward the basket. Her dark brown eyes seemed almost black the way they always did when she was concentrating.

"Tch." Aomine smirked at the boy trying to block his path right before making a ridiculous behind-the-back pass to Miyoshi.

"About time," she sighed to herself as the ball settled in her hands.

Riyo was completely unguarded and she took the shot. Nothing but net, like always. It secured their victory.

"Nice shot!" Aomine cheered for her.

She had a wide grin on her face as she ran to her best friend.

"Nice pass," she threw back while offering him her fist, which he bumped.

Later when they were gathering their things, Aomine thought it'd be funny to mess with his friend so he emptied the rest of his water bottle on Miyoshi.

She shrieked in horror as cold water trickled down her skin. She ran a little farther away from him. "BAKA!"

He was grinning at her. Riyo grabbed her own water bottle and tried to spray its contents on him but Aomine saw it coming. He was fast to evade her attack. The water splattered to the ground and so she threw the empty bottle at his head. And she never missed.

"Oi! That hurt!"

She giggled.

Riyo was late to class but she didn't really care. Her grades were top of the class regardless of whether or not she attended. There was more to learning things than listening to a lecture. By the time she entered the classroom, the lesson was already in full swing.

The teacher, a man in his mid-forties with greying hair and bad posture, leveled her with a scowl. "Miyoshi-san, late again," he said.

Riyo felt the eyes of everyone in the room on her but she refused to buckle under their scrutiny. What they thought of her was inconsequential. Well... There were exactly two exceptions to that.

To Riyo's surprise, she caught sight of him out of the corner of her eye. He usually didn't bother showing up. Now there he was, sitting next to Momoi.

"Hm."

"Keep this up and you'll fail my class for lack of attendance," the teacher warned, clearly unhappy with her.

"Hm."

A weight settled in the pit of her stomach. The only available seat in the room was in the same row as them. She would have to sit too close to the pair for her liking.

As Riyo walked past them, an inexplicable tug she couldn't ignore, even though she tried, drew her gaze to meet his. For a brief second, she saw regret pass his features. The flicker of it was gone as fast as it had appeared. So fast, she wondered if she had imagined the whole thing.