Ten

[ Look after him, will you? ]
_____

Due to the injury Kagami sustained in the match against Touou Academy, Seirin's following two losses hardly came as a surprise. However, they didn't fold without a fight. Though their journey in the Interhigh tournament came to an untimely and unfortunate end, Riyo admired Seirin's willpower. Everyone gave their all to win even after they knew they'd already lost. It was a rare trait.

Riyo had seen teams stop trying before the second half at the mercy of Teiko's miracles. When faced with an impenetrable wall of talent, the light in their eyes dimmed. They'd allowed themselves to be broken by the overwhelming strength of their opponent. One after the other, they'd always given up.

She'd seen up close the effects it had had on Aomine and the rest of the miracles, witnessed their egos and arrogance grow, and with that, their love of basketball shrinking, giving way to the obsessive need to win, no matter the cost. Somewhere in that process, she herself had been deemed a nuisance and a burden to the team. An irrelevant piece of the puzzle without which the picture was already whole.

Riyo shook her head lightly to banish the unwelcome memories that threatened to flood her mind. She was determined to close the door on that part of her life. The Kiseki no Sedai had deemed her unworthy, and she wouldn't pine for people who didn't want her. No. Riyo's only objective now was to get through high school without incident. After graduation she'd figure out what she wanted to do with her life, perhaps she'd follow in her father's footsteps and apply to America for college. It could be the fresh start she so desperately needed. Or maybe she'd move back home to help take care of her siblings. She knew her mother would appreciate it.

Transferring from Touou to Seirin had undoubtedly helped her put some much-needed space between her and Aomine but she was still surrounded by the remnants of her life at Teiko, the most prominent being Kuroko. She did consider him a close friend and appreciated all he'd done for her, regardless he was a blatant reminder of her past, and another connection to Aomine she couldn't sever. Not yet anyway.

"You'll be able to train and ease back into basketball again, Kagami-san," the doctor's words pulled Riyo from her thoughts.

Beside her, the red-haired boy perked up in his seat.

"But before that," the doctor added, his tone carrying a stern warning, "you need two weeks of absolute rest."

Kagami stiffened and clenched his fists, clearly unhappy with the doctor's orders.

"Thank you, Yoshimoto-san," Aida interjected before Kagami could voice his grievances.

Had the coach not intervened, Kagami surely would have argued. He wasn't by any means the type of guy to submit to orders he didn't like, but even he had to respect the doctor's expertise as well as his own health. He couldn't risk worsening his injury. He had a real chance at a professional career that he shouldn't throw away by playing with an injury.

The doctor nodded politely. "When you do return to training, remember to start slowly and if any pain occurs, come in for another visit. I want to be sure there's no permanent damage." He directed his words at the uncharacteristically silent boy who was studying the floor like it was the most interesting thing he'd ever laid eyes on.

Riyo could almost feel the frustration radiating off him. Two weeks without exercise and more importantly without basketball were bound to put him on edge. Now more than ever, Kagami would want to be pushing himself on and off the court to grow as a player enough to win the Winter Cup, this year's second top-tier high school basketball tournament. To beat the miracles.

"I'll make sure he does," Aida spoke again, reassuring the doctor.

"Good."

Riyo forced herself to flash the man scribbling something on his clipboard, a tight smile accompanied by a curt nod before the trio scurried out of the examining room. The gesture was her way of saying thank you and goodbye, all wrapped into one.