Thirty-Two

[ Fucking amazing ]
_____

"What?"

"You," the ref pointed a finger at Riyo, "are banned from all Winter Cup games, effective immediately."

Her face fell. She hadn't thought it through. Hadn't even considered the consequences of her actions before slapping Hanamiya. Luckily, she wasn't a player and Seirin's success didn't depend on her. They would still win. She just couldn't be there to cheer them on.

"Wait. Kirisaki Daiichi has been playing a dirty game the entire time, injuring Seirin players worse than what she did and you're banning her from watching the tournament? Come on. There have to be security cameras or something that would prove exactly the kind of shit they're pulling and how incapable you've been at stopping them," Aomine said, staring down at the ref, using his height to his advantage.

"I'll leave the bench and go to the stands. If you let me stay, I promise I won't cause any more trouble," Riyo pleaded, going along with Aomine's insane plan.

The referee shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "This is your first incident..."

"Please," said Riyo.

The ref sighed heavily. "Fine. But if there's a single complaint about you, even if it's just someone shorter sitting behind you not being able to see the game, I will kick you out of this stadium and you'll never come back. Am I clear?"

Riyo nodded. The ref glanced at her disapprovingly one more time before disappearing in the direction Kirisaki Daiichi had gone to a minute ago. The Seirin boys who had been watching the situation unfold also trickled out the door and toward the locker rooms. In passing Kagami offered his fist to Riyo which she bumped with hers. A secret Atta girl! if there ever was one. There was also a tense glare between Kagami and Aomine as he passed but it could've been worse.

"I didn't see that coming," Aomine said. The corners of his lips twitched upward but he wasn't quite smiling.

Riyo couldn't believe she'd slapped Hanamiya in the face in the middle of the stadium where everybody could see. It felt like a faraway dream.

"To be fair, neither did I," she said running a hand through her hair, in disbelief.

The smile on Aomine's face broke free. "I'm proud of ya, Ri-chan."

His words sent a warm fluttery feeling through Riyo and her cheeks heated. She walked out of the court with Aomine following close behind.

"I can't believe I just did that." Riyo spun around to face Aomine. "And you! I didn't know you were here. And when did you get from the stands to the court?"

He shrugged. "I didn't like the way he was looking at you."

"So you sprinted from the audience to my aid?"

In one swift motion, Aomine scooped Riyo up in his arms and spun her around. She let out a small squeal as she flung her arms around his neck for support. The look in his deep blue eyes made her heart beat faster. She landed softly on the balls of her feet when he set her down.

"I'll always come running for you," he said, leaning in close. His breath was warm against her skin. "You're my girl. My person. My best friend. I'll never let anyone hurt you again."

Her breath hitched. They hadn't exactly spoken the words yet even though they'd been spending more time together. She'd even had dinner at his house when he'd been dogsitting Iverson, and like always, his family had made her feel right at home. Her heart fluttered as she replayed his words in her head. His girl, his person. Riyo could get used to hearing that, and if she dared to admit it to herself, she felt the same way about him. She'd been feeling it for a long time.