Seven

[ It wasn't enough ]
_____

When Riyo and Kagami got home, they introduced #2 to Iverson. The pup got so excited he knocked the senior dog over a few times while playing. Iverson was quick to scold him when he got out of line. All in all, the dogs were getting along wonderfully and Riyo thought she even caught an extra wag in Iverson's tail. Watching the dogs chase each other and share toys, Riyo let her worries slip from her mind.

"Riyo?" Kagami asked tentatively.

"Hm?" Her reply was half-hearted and her gaze trailed the dogs fighting over a monkey chew toy that let out a high-pitched squeak when they bit down on it.

"Why'd you transfer to Seirin?"

Kagami plopped down on the other end of the couch, a serious expression on his face. Riyo's gaze snapped to him. She hadn't expected him to bring that up. He hadn't asked her once, since she'd moved in and it wasn't something she wanted to talk about. Still, she felt like she owed him an answer. She had ruthlessly invaded his space after all.

Riyo sighed in resignation. "I wanted to put some space between me and Aomine-kun."

Kagami's brows drew together and a deep frown fell over his features. "Why?"

And so, Riyo explained. She told him about the team and how their gifts for basketball had begun to emerge. How their arrogance and desire to win had clouded every other aspect of their lives. And how in their final match, their friendship had been irrevocably broken. Kagami stayed uncharacteristically silent throughout her entire story apart from a few disgruntled noises and sharp intakes of breath. His deep crimson eyes, though, shone with undecipherable emotion.

"That bastard!" he exclaimed when she finished her recap.

For months, Riyo had used similar words (and worse) to describe Aomine and his team of beasts. Still, hearing it from Kagami awakened a deeply rooted desire to protect the hurtful moron.

***

"He's not all bad," Riyo said.

Kagami paused. Why was she defending him? For the life of him, he couldn't understand how she could say anything nice about Aomine after the way he had treated her. Kagami's hands balled into fists and his knuckles started slowly turning white.

"I'm gonna crush him in our match!" he declared through gritted teeth. It was the only way he knew to get back at him.

How to hurt him.

"Mmh," Riyo hummed avoiding Kagami's gaze.

She wasn't convinced. Her lack of confidence only served to fuel Kagami's determination and his mind was made up. Aomine would learn just how powerful the Seirin ace could be, in their upcoming match. He would crumble.

"I will beat him," Kagami muttered more to himself than Riyo.

***

A few days later Riyo and Kuroko were on a walk together. They'd agreed to meet up and talk since they hadn't had time to properly catch up before then. At least not without Kagami there to steer the conversation back toward the Interhigh tournament.

As soon as they had exchanged simple greetings and a quick hug. Kuroko went straight for the killing shot. "Why didn't you tell Aomine-kun and Momoi-san that you were leaving?"