Wattpad Original
There are 22 more free parts

Chapter Four

The adrenaline coursing through Rayne's body on her first exhibition away from home was quickly dampened by the sour mood of a particular Fae King.

They had left early in the night after packing the essentials for both of them in one backpack that she had no problem lugging around, despite his lack of appreciation. Small weapons, a few toiletries items, money, and clothes that will get her through the week before she can purchase any. Her mom packed them some quick snacks that should last them until they have to hunt and made her promise to stay in contact whenever she could in exchange for allowing her to go.

She knew she was going to miss her family, including Ronan who objected to her leaving at all, but she had to do it. She'll find a way to make the most of the dreaded trip with Jarrah's brooding silence to find that hidden elixir of his. They'd only been traveling a few hours by foot when she was squirming at the chance to speak. Usually, she was good at staying silent, or at least being patient. But on that particular night, she just wanted to know what the legend said, why he made a deal with her father in the first place, and if he thought his people were ready enough for what was to come.

He seemed less than enthused to be there with her anyway, but a few words out of him wouldn't hurt anybody, even if they were supposed to dislike each other by their very nature. They didn't have much of a choice in terms of company and if they were going to work together, she needed to trust him.

"So . . . Jarrah, King of Fae," she started, wanting to be as respectful as possible. She glanced over at him and caught his annoyed eye.

After Jarrah was unchained, Navaeh made them both some food before their long journey, so he was currently mid-chew while they walked. He didn't seem like he was in the mood to converse, but her tongue rarely worked alongside her brain.

It didn't help that he finally looked more like his original self without the chain of iron wrapped around his limbs. The markings on his skin were gone, and the more food he engorged, the healthier he appeared. His hair was shinier, his skin full of pretty hues of bronze, and the bags under his eyes were mostly diminished. He was uncomfortably beautiful to look at, and Rayne spent most of her time trying to reel in her urge to talk to him.

After swallowing down the last bite of his sandwich, he finally answered.

"We don't have to talk," he said, stiffly.

Rayne controlled the emotion on her face as well as she could, though she couldn't deny that she was shocked by how coldly he spoke to her. Didn't she just help him get out from under her father's thumb? Wasn't it her who brought them away from her pack when she knew he didn't belong there?

"Yes, we do. I'm not going to Crimson Peak blindsided. I need to know that I can trust you, and as much as you probably want me to shut up the whole trip there, it's not going to happen," she scoffed, clenching her jaw. He snorted at that.

"And why would I tell you anything, pup?"

Rayne's gaze blazed. Fists clenched and teeth smashed together, she pushed out, "Stop. Calling. Me. That. My name is Rayne, not 'pup'."

Her cheeks flushed the more she tried to control herself. She was going to argue with people for the rest of her life, and she knew she couldn't just snap at anyone who pissed her off. But Jarrah made it entirely too difficult to hold it in. Growing up around being respected as not only the alpha's daughter, but eventually being alpha herself, she was never spoken to with such hostility. Well, occasionally when she spoke to Ezra or Ronan, but never the way Jarrah was doing it.

Honestly, she was five minutes away from leaving him behind in the forest somewhere while she went to Crimson Peak herself.

"And because," she continued, trying her best to control her voice. She needed to be calm, diplomatic. "We're going to have to work together as much as possible. If we don't, we're dead."