Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter Twenty-Four

The tunnels Marguerite pointed Jarrah and Rayne to were absolutely bone chilling. Rats scurried by their feet, mildew lingered along the sweaty walls, and off and on there would be a quick stench of blood that nearly had Rayne gagging. The tunnels stretched on from the witches' hideout down to wherever the Jean Lafitte's Shop was, and all they had to do was follow the blue bundle of magical light Marguerite made for them, as well as a transportation spell that should get them out of Crimson Peak and into the surrounding forest as soon as they get the elixir. Though she wasn't the sweetest old woman in the world, the fact that she was desperate enough to depend on a wolf and Fae must mean the situation really was going to get worse for them all.

But why? What pissed the vampire lord off that much?

Nobody knew the answer to that, but it didn't matter. He needed to be put down soon. Especially now that the other species were depending on Rayne and Jarrah to save them, whether they knew it or not. Not to mention Rayne had her own plans for the vampire king after the mess he left in the forest.

After another twenty minutes of following the ghostly light, the bundle led them to a set of stairs at the end of the tunnel, lingering over the metal banister. The edges wavered like smoke the closer they got to the flickering puff of air, before coming to a quick halt.

Rayne inspected the stairs, not knowing at all where they'd lead them to. Everything was still too dark in the tunnel under the city, and she knew she wouldn't get a proper read unless she got closer. Unfortunately, as soon as she took a step forward, Jarrah was there to urgently grab her wrist, stopping her from moving any closer. She looked over at him, confused.

"Let me go first," he insisted.

Rayne tried her best not to roll her eyes, but she wasn't very successful. "Jarrah, I'll be fine. I let you go first the last time with the witches, so it's my turn to scope out the area for us this time."

"That was different," he tried to dismiss, but she thinned her lips in response. "Rayne—"

She ignored him. Shaking off his fingers, she hitched her skirt up high into her hands, and moved forward to walk up the steps before Jarrah could stop her again. It wasn't until Jarrah swore lightly under his breath that she swiftly spun around, raising an eyebrow. His eyes moved away from her shapely legs so he could level her with an amused smile as a blush flirted up his neck and spilled into the apples of his cheeks.

"What?" she asked, innocently.

"Nothing," he promised a little too quickly, shaking his head. "Seeing as how I can't convince you to let me go first, at least stay close to me."

Shrugging her shoulders at his request, she turned back around and followed the wisp up the stairs. She didn't have time to question his behavior, and only wanted to focus on the task at hand because they were drawing themselves closer into dangerous territory. She honestly didn't even know if she should trust Marguerite, but considering their lack of options, they had no choice but to follow her word. And if she was right, the task that lay before them was going to begin right on the other side of whatever door they had to get through. Jarrah's antics were going to have to wait.

By the time they both made it to the top of the staircase, Rayne had finally noticed the trap door above their heads as the wisp disappeared into the wood, signaling the end of its purpose. She pressed a hand against the wooden door, her fingers spreading out beneath the grooves and splinters. Taking a deep breath, she mentally prepared herself to push it open.

"Wait!" Jarrah breathed, panicked as he grabbed the free hand that lingered at her side.

Rayne, annoyed by his stalling, looked down at him with a frown on her lips. "What?"