Wattpad Original
There are 19 more free parts

Chapter Seven

The moment they got back into the room, Rayne was quick to get on the phone before it got too late. While she tucked her legs beneath her on the chair with the phone's cord wrapped around her finger, she watched Jarrah lay down on the bed and lazily flip through channels on the television set. He looked unnatural in that modern element, but seeing as how he had nothing else to do, watching TV was his only pastime. She tried not to stare too long at any body part in particular so that she wasn't super obvious in her appreciation of the fine muscles rippling under the shirt. The thought of sharing a bed with him, no matter the space stretched out between them, made her cheeks flush and forced her inner cheek to seek solace between her teeth.

Luckily, Ronan finally answered his cell.

"Ronan residence," he chirped, his voice smooth and familiar. A tension in Rayne's chest eased up and the dull ache of missing her best friend rolled into her body. She missed her family, but she had to call him first. He would be the same way.

"Shouldn't it go by your last name, Ronie? And don't you only have to say that when it's a home phone and not your cell phone?" Rayne teased, a smile gracing her lips. Her eyes fell to the red lingering in the tip of her finger as she wrapped the chord tighter in boredom.

Ronan's voice rose an octave, elation coloring his voice. "Ah, Alpha Raynie. Still bossy, I see."

"Ha ha," she drawled, rolling her eyes.

"I practically heard the eye roll on that one."

"It's instinctual now, I'm sure."

"Agreed. I have to say, I do miss bugging the shit out of you."

"Even though that makes me cringe, I miss slapping you for bugging me," she admitted. Ronan's tone made her miss home more than anything in the world.

Ronan cleared his throat. "Maybe you guys should . . . I don't know . . . come back and we'll figure something else out."

Rayne's tongue was heavier suddenly, and she found it hard to swallow. "Roe, you know I can't do that."

"You're on a death mission, Rayne. Of course you could! No one is forcing you to do this, and no one would blame you for coming back."

"No, I can't. I can't risk any of you dying. And if getting this elixir will prevent death from happening, then I'll do everything in my power to get whatever drop I can get. You know that."

He huffed on the other end of the phone and she imagined her best friend rubbing at his eyebrow the way he usually did when she wasn't listening to his advice. They weren't in charge of the pack yet, but they listened to each other's points and weighed the pros and cons of every situation.

"Look, I'll be home soon, alright? We'll retrieve the elixir and then I'll be right back with you killing vampires in no time."

Ronan snorted. "More like I'll be killing them for you. You suck at fighting, remember?"

Rayne smiled again, a small burst of laughter lighting up her chest. "You think I'm doomed? What about Amira?"

"Oh, she's a goner without me," he boasted.

"How humble of you," she said dryly.

"I thought so too. Anyway, have you called Alpha yet?"

"Not yet."

"Awwww you wanted to call me first, Raynie? I'm touched," he cooed.

Her nose crinkled. "Alright, on that note, I think it's time to call mom and dad."

Ronan chuckled, his voice much lighter than before. "Love you, Raynie. Stay safe out there and call as soon as you can."

"Love you too, Roe. And you know I will."