Three - Memories

The only thing to alert you to the morning was the metallic clicking of the hidden panel and the patient footsteps of Claude as he descended the stairs, paper and breakfast in hand.

"Good morning, Claude," you greeted weakly as you sat up, situating the blanket around your bare body.

Claude grunted at you. "Likewise. Hannah will be down in a moment to feed you." He passed you off the paper, and then set up a stand for your breakfast tray.

"Alois won't be down this morning?" you asked, skimming over the front page. Queen announces new building project in central London. The Viscount Druitt's annual charity ball. Lady White has been stolen. Big Ben's chimes have been fixed. The Ice Festival is – wait... You skimmed again and again over the news of Lady White. You'd heard the legend since you were a child, and the thought of the Twins falling into the wrong hands frightened you to no end.

"No, his majesty has business matters to attend to today." You nodded, your eyes flicking between Claude and the newspaper article.

"Oh, okay," you said absently, staring back at the paper. "Claude, you wouldn't happen to know anything about the Lady White incident, would you?" Without hesitation, the butler stated that he had not, and a second later Hannah appeared behind him.

"I'm here to relieve you, Claude," stated the woman gently. The butler said nothing as he turned on his heel with one last glance at you, and made his way up the stairs. You breathed out a sigh when you heard the panel click shut, and placed the paper beside you.

"I still can't get used to that man," you mumbled, running a hand through your knotty hair. Hannah chuckled as she sat beside you,

"He's not so bad." You smirked at her and rolled your eyes before she began to feed you.

"One day," you started, swallowing your mouthful. "Alois will let me eat by myself again. I feel so ridiculous having you do this for me everyday." Hannah sighed, holding the last grape to your lips.

"The master means well, I think. You know how he is." You stifled another sigh and took the grape from Hannah's fingers; chewing slowly, you nodded.

Yes, you knew how Alois was.

And how unfortunate it was that you did.

"Yes, yes – I know," you sighed, and then an icy shiver shot down your spine. It was positively freezing down in your cell. It'd been alright the day before, well, tolerable at least.

Hannah noted your shiver, and stood from the bed, a hand offered out to you. "We best get you into the bath now, it'll help you warm up."

Taking her warm hand in your chilled fingers, you stood and gratefully slipped into the robe Hannah had brought you. Outside of the cell, one of the triplets waited to unlock the door, which he did when Hannah nodded to him. You shivered again as you stepped off of the carpet, the stone of the floor was freezing! It got warmer as you and Hannah ascended the stair case, though the stone stairs were ice on your bare feet. As you exited the secret passage, you noticed a fire going in low foyer hearth. Then again it was January, too bad it didn't do much against the cold in the basement.

You glanced around the main house like you usually did, taking in all of the colour that escaped you down in your block walled prison. The reds and golds were always so lush, it surprised you most times. Even if you did get a bath every day, per Alois' order (although you would've requested it yourself), the basement liked to dull your senses. With a sigh, you reluctantly followed Hannah to the bathroom. There, a claw foot tub was already filled with steaming hot water.