Four: Thief

When Ciel's carriage arrived at the museum, the place was flocked with people. The Yard's finest guards and detectives, as well as curious onlookers and journalists, he presumed. Ciel knew that Lord Randall would be furious, as usual, at his appearance on the case. It was always fun to annoy Randall with his presence, besides - it wasn't like either of them could go against the Queen's orders. That's precisely what Ciel told the Lord too, when the earl descended from his carriage to be greeted with a furious commissioner. The red faced man could do nothing but give Ciel the answers to his questions then.

"Hmm, very interesting," muttered Ciel after his briefing. "Nobody in or out without passing by guards...and yet, the months old crime was only recently discovered."

Ciel's eyes flicked briefly to Sebastian, the demon expressing the same concern, before settling back on the chief.

"I still find it strange that the thief would go after the royal jewel first," noted Lord Randall as he led the pair inside. "Not only is it the most heavily guarded but - well, Phantomhive, you've heard the legend."

"I have. It has me wondering as well, but perhaps it is to put your detectives off the scent. That's where the Dog steps in."

Ciel smirked slightly at the visible flinch and flustered face given by Lord Randall. The navy haired man then turned to view the display case holding Master Black, studying the onyx and amethyst ring. Although no human could feel its dark presence, Ciel most definitely could now that he was a demon. He could feel the aura radiating off of it; so the legend was true after all. Just great. He could even see the purple-black mist enveloping the jewellery. After another knowing glance over his shoulder to Sebastian, Ciel turned to look at the room the jewel was currently in.

It had high vaulted ceilings, marble pillars keeping arches in their place. The floor and walls were pure white, red rugs and multi-coloured ancient tapestries breaking the monochrome. From where he was, Ciel could see four entry ways and a staff only door; however, the earl could also see the countless ways of a demon entering and obtaining the ring. Even with all of the guards, it would require little effort. Meaning that taking Lady White from the royal jewel chamber would be no problem. Of course, Ciel could also see ways of a very cautious human getting away undetected. But they would have to be very precise about their efforts. After another moment, Ciel headed towards the main exit way.

"Where are you going, Phantomhive?" spat chief from behind him.

Without stopping, Ciel looked over his shoulder to reply coolly, "I'm going to do some more research. I'm sure your team is equipped enough to handle guarding a little thing like that."

Sebastian gave a little bow to the inspector, swiftly following after his graceful, willowy master, when the loud sound of shattering glass echoed through the museum. Shouting came from main entry room, muffled cries of "stop him!" which quickly faded out. Ciel watched warily as the double oak doors were opened, and a small round ball thrown into the room.

As the ball collided with the floor, a purple haze filled the space. Immediately, the occupants of the room started to whine and choke, their eyes watering at the foreign substance. Ciel and Sebastian, though, were completely unaffected. Had he been human, Ciel would have been unable to see through the thick fog. However, his sharp eyes watched as a man in all black ran into the room and headed straight for the ring case.

Sebastian was at the earl's side in a moment, a silent inquiry of action passed between them. Ciel shook his head to it, and the pair watched curiously as the stranger broke the glass case, grabbed the ring, and ran out of the far door just in time for the purple smoke to begin to dissipate. It was then that Ciel gave Sebastian the nod, and the butler flitted off through the door the man in black had gone through. When the smoke had cleared, the policemen looked about themselves (most uttering curses). Lord Randall, face redder than usual, stormed over to the broken case.

"Blast it!" he yelled, eyes frantic as he studied the case and turned to face his men. "I should have every one of you suspended - !"

"I don't think that will be necessary," came Sebastian's voice as he reappeared. "It seems that, even though our thief got away, he dropped his loot."

Sebastian offered out his left hand, where Master Black was gently pinched between his thumb and forefinger. Ciel smiled inwardly as he imagined what Sebastian had done to get that, while keeping the thief alive like he needed. Lord Randall, his mouth hung open, straightened and fixed himself. Opening his mouth to speak, the commissioner was cut off.

"Lord Randall, I believe I know how to catch your thief and retrieve Lady White for safe keeping; however, it will be necessary to bring this ring back to my estate," stated Ciel.

"Absolutely not!" Randall scoffed, stomping dangerously close to Ciel. The earl narrowed his eyes but kept a cool head.

"Her Majesty wants both rings found and safely kept away, before we find out first hand whether or not the stories are true. So you can, either, allow me to do this or go against her Majesty."

Ciel and Lord Randall tensely glared at one another for a moment, but then the chief groaned out a sigh.

"Fine, Phantomhive, but it's your fault if these things destroy half of London."

"Thank you, Lord Randall," said Ciel cheekily, "and don't worry, I know exactly what I'm doing."

Ciel nodded his goodbyes, and made his way back to his carriage. Sebastian was at his side shortly later.

"How nice it is that our thief decided to strike today, during the investigation," noted Sebastian smugly once they were settled in the upholstered carriage cabin; Ciel nodded absently, knocking on the floor twice with his cane.

"Yes," the earl agreed. "It simply speeds things up."

"Presuming they go after Lady White now, then yes it will." Ciel slowly raised his head to look evenly at Sebastian.

"What do you mean?" the man inquired; Sebastian smirked slightly.

"I'm simply saying that, perhaps, the people who want both rings may wait until after all of this has died down to finally connect the two rings. Or, if they don't already have Lady White, to steal Master Black again before going after the Lady."

Ciel pondered this for a moment. "If they do, I want you monitor them, Sebastian...Master Black can only lead you to Lady White, but not the other way around."

"Do not worry, young master, I made sure to tell them exactly where they can find the ring again," stated Sebastian, smirking smugly.

"So we wait then," sighed the earl, turning back to carriage window.

"Yes," agreed Sebastian quietly. "Now we wait."

~