Two - Letters

The clock ticked relentlessly.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

Had his office always been so unbearably quiet? Or his paperwork so incredibly dull?

Had this always been the normal routine of his life? Its natural rhythm?

He currently regretted having that wall clock put in.

"To keep the endless time I'll live," he muttered the words he had said when he requested the clock to be hung. "Damn if I don't have it removed immediately. It's only been a day, and it's already driving me mad."

His turned his glaring eyes from the clock on the wall to the papers on his desk. Paper work, party invitations and a letter from the Queen lay scattered across its surface. A knock came from the door of the study. Just by the knock, he could tell it was his butler.

"Come in." His servant obeyed, creaking the door open and rolling in a silver cart with cake and tea, a silver platter in his free hand.

"This came for you today, my lord." The master took the envelope from the plate. Earl Ciel Phantomhive was scrawled in neat cursive on the back of the envelope. There was no return address. "I found it had been slipped under the main doors this morning."

"Ah, yes. Well that does explain why there is no address on this envelope. Have you any idea who sent this, Sebastian?" implored the young Lord, but the crimson eyed servant shook his head.

"I'm afraid I do not, young master. Perhaps they've signed their name in the letter." Lord Phantomhive grunted and reached for his letter opener. As he slid the opener beneath the seal, his butler explained the morning's cake and tea choices. Placing brunch on the desk out of the way, Sebastian waited quietly while his master scanned the paper. Ciel smirked as he finished reading the letter.

"My, well this is interesting," noted the twenty-year-old, placing his elbow on the arm of the chair and leaning his cheek against his hand.

"What does the letter say, my lord?" Sebastian inquired, politely standing over the earl's shoulder.

"It is from the Marquis [L/Name], it appears as though his daughter has been missing for a year. Nobody knows her whereabouts. The last that was seen of her was when her friend in America saw her off on a ship heading back towards England. Lord [L/Name] said his daughter had been very frantic and constantly running away from somebody who appeared to be stalking her these last few years. He suspects that her stalker has finally caught her. He wants us to find her and protect her until her captor is put in jail."

"And I suspect the letter does not say from whom she was running," asked Sebastian, his toning verging amusement.

The earl shook his head in a troubled way, "No, it does not. The only thing her father remembers is that it was a blonde haired male, who was noble here in England. But there are plenty of those to go around. Sebastian, do some farther research into the house of [L/Name]. Maybe we can create a connection and cross reference who she has come into contact with, with anyone who matches the description."

"Very well," said Sebastian with a bow. "And, master, may I remind you that the Queen has also requested your – assistance – in a matter."

Ciel's eyes slid over to the envelope in question that held the Queen's request.

"How could I forget?" asked Ciel snidely. "Her Majesty's orders always come first."

Picking up the envelope, Ciel removed the letter to read it once more.

It appeared as though a ring had been stolen from her Majesty's royal jewels. It was made of silver and diamonds, and the Queen was very clear that the ring was to be found and returned as soon as possible. She also stated that there was a nearly identical ring in a London museum that she had Scotland Yard put guards on. It appeared as though the Queen was convinced that the thief of the royal jewel would also go after its twin in the museum.

Ciel exchanged looks with Sebastian.

"I'll get your coat, master," stated Sebastian, getting the hint, and disappearing out the door. When Ciel was sure that Sebastian was gone, he looked over Marquis [L/N] request.

"A blonde, male noble – could it be?" wondered Ciel out loud, but then immediately dismissed the thought.

It was absurd.

With a head shake, Ciel exited his study and made his way to where Sebastian waited him in the foyer. After shrugging on his overcoat, the pair made their way to where a carriage waited for them out front. Once the carriage started down the drive, Ciel turned his attention out the window. He watched intently as the trees soon gave way to sprawling green hills.

There was something off, but he couldn't place his finger quite on what. With a slight shake of his head, Ciel sighed and turned to Sebastian. "This ring at the museum...it bothers me."

Sebastian was slightly taken aback by his master's sudden voice. "And why is that?"

Earl Phantomhive stayed silent a moment before speaking. "I believe I've heard tale it before. The ring in the museum is called 'Master Black.' It is one half of a set. The other half, the one stolen from the royal palace, was named 'Lady White.' They're usually referred to as 'Les Jumeaux de Destruction,' or 'The Twins of Destruction.'

"They say that, when they're together, the rings bring chaos. Left on its own, Lady White is harmless. However, Master Black is said to possess those whoever wears him with dark power and, not only cause devastation where he is, but also seek out his twin so they may unite their powers. I've only ever heard it in legend but, if it is true, it perplexes me why the thief would go after the useless one first. Perhaps to throw off the trail..."

Ciel then went quiet again then.

____________

Kudos to http://www.quotev.com/bippityboppitybitch for helping me with Ciel's mystery! (She knows spoilers. Sort of, lol)