Six - Surprise

Ciel sat with his cheek rested against his hand, his eye glaring at the clock on the wall across from him. It'd been a week since the thief had attempted the heist from the museum. The fingers of his free hand tapped in time with the incessant second hand. He hadn't counted on this at all.

What was taking them so bloody long?

Sebastian had been tailing them all over, but hadn't reported back any news of new plans. If this kept up much longer, he was going to have to take another route. A trip to Undertaker's wasn't exactly what he wanted, but if he could provide an alternate option...

Crash!

Somewhere in the manor glass shattered – window glass. Ciel could smell the intruders, heavily smothered in the stench of cigarettes and cheap whiskey. They were dirty and greasy, clearly unimportant underlings of an underground leader. However, there was something off about the scent; the thief from the museum hadn't smelled like this. Though, it was easy to suppose he'd been disposed of for his incompetence and others sent in his place.

Ciel rose from his chair and exited his study; the man could hear his three idiotic human workers scrambling around.

"I believe our guest has finally arrived," noted Sebastian appearing beside his master.

Ciel nodded, staring down the empty hallway. "So it seems. – You at least could have left a window open for them."

"I hadn't counted on their appearance today. I hadn't heard anything of an ambush," noted the butler.

"Perhaps they are other players in our game," wondered Ciel aloud.

Sebastian glanced briefly at his master. "Shall I go after them?"

Ciel pondered this a moment, staring blankly down the hall, before shaking his head. "No. It doesn't matter who has what, so long as the pieces fall together properly."

Sebastian made a sound of amusement before turning to his master. "This came for you today – I think you shall find it quite interesting."

Ciel turned an inquisitive eye to his servant, before it flickered to the familiar silver tray which held a letter. As with every letter he received, his name was scrawled on the back of the envelop in impeccable cursive. His nose twitched as he took the envelop, its movement sending up fumes; roses and vanilla with a hint of something he couldn't place. The scent tried to pull memories, but they were faint and dim human memories –

Seen and heard and felt through weak senses.

He thanked Sebastian, told him to take care of the mess, also to keep an eye on their new pawns, and then returned to his study. Ciel returned to his plush chair, staring at the writing on the back of the paper; he'd seen somewhere, he thought. His heart about stopped, his eyes widening as he flipped it over and saw the ever familiar spider crest of the Trancy family.

"So this is what Sebastian meant by 'interesting,'" he muttered, running his letter opener under the wax seal. Ciel hesitated lifting the flap; what did that crazy man want? After all these years, why had Alois Trancy sent him a letter? After their spat resulted in both of them becoming demons, Ciel hadn't seen hide nor hair of Alois Trancy.

So far as Ciel had known, Alois had left the country some years ago. He hadn't heard of that insane male returning to England. Ciel couldn't imagine that Alois' intentions, whatever they were, were well off. He dreaded whatever was written on the paper.

But he couldn't ignore it forever.

Ciel drew in a breath – perhaps he was being dramatic, but Alois was one of the very last people he'd ever want to hear from. Slowly, the earl removed the heavy stationary paper the scented envelop. He eyed the parchment suspiciously, having not even unfolded it yet; with bated breath, Ciel opened it.

The words that met his eye slightly surprised him.

By order of Alois Trancy,

You have been cordially invited to a masquerade ball at the Trancy estate. Masks and fancy dress is mandatory.

Beneath that, it stated the date and time of the ball and was signed by the Earl Trancy with another smaller seal beside it. If this was anything like the costume ball he'd held while they were still playing their game, Ciel knew he must go to in order keep innocents from dying.

The letter crumbled, tearing slightly in Ciel's grip, as he read a message handwritten at the bottom of the letter.

I do hope that you can join us, Earl Phantomhive, it'll be a sheer delight to see you again.

A. Trancy

_________________