"Hide"

Narrated POV:

 Y/n had slept through the day and the sun was already descending downwards again.
She opened her eyes, to the evening lighting giving the room enough light to see, through the small window.
A small knock on the door sounded, before the handle turned, causing y/n to shift her gaze onto the door.
Toby let himself in, closing the door again behind him before noticing she was sitting up in bed.

"O-oh hey, y-your awake f-finally" He stuttered, setting a glass of water on the table next to her and held out a waffle.

"I-I thought you m-might be hungry.." He explained, as she took it slowly.

Y/n nibbled at the waffle while Toby rummaged in his closet again.

"Why did you save me from him?" y/n's voice asked softly, causing Toby to stop and look back at her.

He searched for an answer as she went back to nibbling on the waffle's corner.

"I c-couldn't let h-him hurt you a-again." He finally said, and she looked up at him.

"Why-" she started asking before Toby continued explaining.

"I a-also pr-promised to protect y-you." he added.

"A promise to protect me?? ... To who?" she asked hesitantly.

There was a pause between his answer before he let his gaze drop to the floor for a second.

"T-to myself... t-the first night I s-saw you." he admitted, before looking back up at her.

The sparkle had returned to her eye as she gave a quick, soft smile.

"What happens now?" y/n asked, looking around the room.

"W-well..." Toby started, before realizing he really didn't have much of a plan up to this point.

"Wh-what do you want t-to do now?" he asked, leaving it up to her.

Y/n met his eye again, and took a moment to think.

"I- I want to stay here... I don't want to go back to that house." she confessed, and the tense atmosphere dissipated.

Toby's cheeks warmed to a pink and he looked back to the closet.

"O-ok then..." he replied.

"I'm glad" He mumbled, continuing to search for something in the closet.

Y/n smiled, having heard his mumbling, and took the glass of water.

"I-I'm going to go out tonight. T-theres something I h-have to do..." Toby said standing, having found a shoulder bag.

"D-don't open the d-door for anyone... and m-maybe get some m-more sleep since i-it's getting l-late again." he told her firmly, making his way to the door.

"What do I do if someone knocks?" y/n asked, making Toby turn back to look at her and he pondered for a moment before his answer.

"Hide."

   Toby's POV:

  I took a breath before answering her question.

"Hide" I said firmly, without stuttering, and gestured slightly to the closet before opening the door and slipping out.

I quietly made my way down the stairs and through the door. As I reached the end of the short clearing in front of the mansion, I looked back up at the window of my room. I could only hope she would be okay while I was gone. I turned and weaved through the trees as the little bit of sunlight receded quickly and the forest was soon plunged into the darkness again.
After what seemed like an eternity of walking, I reached my destination.

The Treeline.

I peered out from behind the tree, closest y/n's house, checking for any signs of raised security. Once I deemed it clear, I stayed low as I sped to the wall of her house. To my surprise, the window was open to her room.
Taking advantage of the situation, I jumped onto the window sill, gripping the wall above to keep myself from falling inside and causing any sound to be heard.
I surveyed the room with my eyes, before I froze in place as my eyes fell on y/n's mother balled up at the foot of y/n's bed, holding a journal of some sort.
She seemed to notice my movement, and whipped her head up, staring in pure shock as we locked eyes.

 'S-shit-" I cursed under my breath.

"Y-your the boy who saved her-" she said, barely loud enough to be heard. I stayed frozen on on the window sill as she looked at me, without moving.

"Is she okay!?" She finally asked in a suddenly panicked tone, perking her head up.

Her question surprised me but I nodded.

"Y-yeah... Shes F-fine... She's safe n-now" I assured her, bringing a pained smile to the woman's face.

  Taking a breath, I dropped from the window, landing in the room. The woman watched as I looked around before pointing to the floor next to the bed. Following her finger, I found what I was looking for and smiled softly under my mouth guard.
The Fluffy little owl plush lay there as I approached it, kneeling to pick it up, keeping my eye on the woman as she pulled herself to her feet.
I put the owl in my bag and turned to face her again as she approached me slowly. She came to a stop in front of me and handed me the journal she had been holding. I took it and brushed my finger against the lightly textured cover as she fidgeted with something behind her head.
I slid the journal into the bag as the woman slipped the necklace off her neck and held it out with a shaky hand.

"P-please... give this to her... and tell her that I love her... and I will always be here for her... and to stay safe..." she pleaded, tears welling up in her eyes as I took the delicate chain with a small silver tree charm hanging on it.

I nodded before putting the necklace in the bag with the other two items. "C-can I take some of her c-clothes to her?" I asked after a few moments. The woman nodded, and scurried over to her closet, beginning to pull out a few items as I looked around the room. Different pieces of artwork and drawings decorated a wall, and a collection of rocks and crystals decorated the top of her desk. Y/n's mother held out a small collection of clothing, taking into thought the size of my bag.
I nodded my head in thanks as I took the clothes, and attempted to squish what I could into the bag.

"I-I can promise you... sh-she's much s-safer now that she's w-with me." I promised, walking towards the window again.

"Thank you so much... please, take care of my little girl..." She pleaded as I jumped up onto the window and looked back at the woman, who's tears glittered in the moonlight as they streaked down her face that displayed a small, thankful smile.

Some how, the journey back to the mansion seemed to go by a lot faster than to trip to her house and before I realized it, I approached the old mansion and looked around before rushing to the front door.
I pushed the creaky door open and slipped inside, shutting it behind me. Glancing at the clock that read 3:55 am, I made my way up the stairs.

Entering the quiet hallway, I quickly made my way to my door and paused in front of it.
Something didn't feel right.