Welcome to the New Job

Bailey walked into the office and was greeted by the same receptionist who had been there when she interviewed for the job. She stood up to greet her and Bailey noticed something she hadn't the first time - the receptionist was seriously pregnant.

"Hi Bailey, I'm Ella - welcome onboard."

"Thanks." Bailey reached out to take the hand Ella offered. "When are you due, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Could be any day now," Ella said cheerfully.

"That's . . . great," Bailey said, hoping Ella wasn't about to go into labor that very moment.

"I decided to work right up to my due date, so I can use all my maternity leave after the baby comes," Ella said. "For now, I'd rather just keep busy, right?"

"Is, um, this your first?"

"Second. The first one - he's two now - almost arrived in the Uber on the way to the hospital. I'm hoping for another short labor," she confided, "but maybe not that fast."

"Right," Bailey said.

"Anyway, let me show you your office and give you the grand tour, such that it is. Tito will want to meet with you as son as he's free." She glanced at the closed door to Tito's office.

Bailey could hear Tito's voice slightly, which sounded calm, and another voice - a woman's - raised in anger. Then the door flew open, and Bailey saw her. She was gorgeous, with a mass of dark curly hair,

"We'll discuss this later," she said, then stopped up short when she saw Bailey. Tito stepped out of the office behind her.

"Bailey, you're here." His smile was warm and welcoming. "Maria, this is Bailey Reid. She's starting today in the new position. Bailey, meet Maria Perez."

Perez. She'd researched Jack's law practice, and wondered if this was another connection, besides Jack serving on the Board.

"Nice to meet you," Bailey said, extending her hand. "Perez. Any relation to Flanagan, Berrington & Perez?"

"Yes," Maria said. "Ritchie Perez is my husband."

"And Maria is also my twin sister," Tito said, stepping up beside her and putting an arm around her waist. "We actually get along quite well, even though at the moment she's mad at me."

"I'll have more to say on this later," Maris warned Tito, but she leaned up and gave him a kiss on the cheek before extricating himself and heading across the small lobby.

"Bailey," she added, "let's plan on having lunch once you get settled in."

"Sure, sounds great."

Bailey watched as Maria left through the outer door, then turned to Tito. "I had no idea the law firm was so involved in your organization."

"They are the ones that made it possible for me to get started," Tito say, gesturing for Bailey to come into his office. She sat down on a chair across from his desk, and Tito sat behind the desk, pushing aside a stack of papers, then leaning forward,

"Until about a month ago, I was an employee of the firm. I was doing client intake, research, a little investigation for their cases."

"I had no idea."

"It was Ritchie who gave me a chance when I got early release from prison," Tito explained. "He and Maria were just dating then, and he was the last person I would ever have expected to give me a second chance."

"Because he was dating your sister?" Bailey asked, wondering how a partner at an elite Miami law firm had felt about the fact that his girlfriend's twin brother was a convicted felon.