Bring the Heat

Maria was pulling Bailey toward a strikingly attractive older woman who was currently surrounded by admirers. Maria pushed through the crowd.

"Excuse me," she said, "can I steal you for a moment Vivienne?"

"Of course." She was wearing a flowing caftan in light blue with a hummingbird print, that reached her ankles and was slit up the side, and beaded sandals. Her silver hair was styled in a chin-length bob, and her age could have been anywhere between fifty and seventy-five. It was impossible to tell.

She carried herself as a person of importance, and Bailey wondered why Maria was so anxious to introduce them. There was something familiar about her, but Bailey couldn't put her finger on it.

Maria led them to a small table off to the side of the terrace where they could talk uninterrupted.

"Vivienne owns the gallery where I first exhibited my paintings, and she was instrumental in getting me the opportunity to work with the Arts and Business Council. I used to work part-time in her gallery."

Bailey turned to Vivienne. "You're a painter then?"

"Sculptor," Vivienne corrected. "Although I do dabble in canvas and oil from time to time."

"I'm sorry - now I remember. My mother is a fan of your work. She showed me an article a few years ago in one of the art magazines she subscribes to. The photos of your work were stunning."

"Your mother is a collector?"

"No, she's an artist herself. She works in glass."

Vivienne set her drink down on the table with a sharp thump. "Reid. You're not . . . Is your mother Adelaide Reid?"

"Yes. You know her work?"

"I admire her work, although it's rather hard to come by. Why doesn't she exhibit?"

Bailey shrugged. "It's her passion, but it's an avocation, not a career. She's not interested in traveling around the world or even the country to art shows. Creating her glass pieces is an end in itself. She and my dad have their farm in the Midwest and they have no desire to leave it. She does an occasional local exhibition, mostly for charity. My parents live a pretty quiet life."

"When she comes to visit you here in Miami, perhaps I can change her mind."

"Perhaps," Bailey said, somewhat dubiously. "But I do know she would be thrilled to meet you in person."

"Likewise," Vivienne said. Then she turned to Maria. "I'll do it."

"Oh I'm so happy!" Maria said.

Bailey looked from one to the other. "Am I missing something?"

"I invited Vivienne here tonight," Maria said, "because I was hoping to interest her in sponsoring an art program for a group of teens in your OFC program."

"I'll admit I was skeptical at first," Vivienne said. "Exposing juvenile offenders to valuable pieces of art in my gallery and studio sounded like a recipe for disaster. But then I heard your comments tonight, Bailey, about what a difference an opportunity like this can made to a troubled teen. And I remembered how close Joey came to going in the wrong direction."

"Joey?" Bailey asked Maria. "Your little brother?"

"He was hanging out with the wrong people and despite everything I was trying to do, ended up in a close brush with the juvenile justice system. That's how I got to know Ritchie, although that's a long story. But getting Joey involved in things he had a passion for - with him it was sports, particularly baseball - made all the difference."