As You Wish

Jonathan glanced up at the sky as he piloted the dinghy back toward his sailboat. The red and gold sunset over the water was the stuff paintings were made of. It also meant clear weather, and a good evening for a sail.

And it was the perfect backdrop for the woman who sat across from him, gazing at the horizon, her face a picture of relaxed pleasure.

She turned her gaze back toward him, and they both started to speak at the same time.

"You first," Jonathon said.

Bailey sighed, stretching her legs out in front of her. "I just wanted to thank you for dinner. That was way better than going to a five-star restaurant."

Jonathon laughed. "Not what you expected from me?"

"Well," Bailey said, grinning, "I did have you figured for more of a fine dining guy. When you said casual dinner, I wasn't sure it would be on the same page as what I think of as casual. But this made for a perfect evening. I'm glad I accepted your invitation."

She had no idea how much he preferred the casual to the elegant and pretentious. God knew he'd put up with enough of the pretentious growing up.

"I'm glad you did, too." Since the water was calm, he pulled the dinghy up to the transom, stepping up first himself then reaching out to Bailey. He was just holding her hand, helping her onboard, but when they stood on the deck, her slender hand still held in his larger one, the atmosphere between them shifted slightly, as if there were a sudden electric charge in the air.

Bailey pulled her hand free, and looked back out at the water again, as Jonathon began the process of raising the tender to store it.

"You know," Jonathan said as he secured the dinghy to the davits, glancing back over his shoulder at Bailey, "the evening doesn't have to end now. We could sail down to Key West. Spend the weekend. I do still owe you that Date of a Lifetime in the Florida Keys." He had a sudden image of her eating cheeseburgers with him at Margaritaville, going in and out of the shops on Duval Street, stopping for an ice cream in Mallory Square, and posing for a touristy photo at the buoy monument marking the southernmost point of the U.S. Rather than staying on the boat, they'd stay at a charming little bed-and-breakfast in Old Town.

"Earth to Jack." She was standing on the deck with her hands on her hips.

"Sorry, my mind drifted to conch fritters and key lime pie." And naked Bailey in a four-poster bed, in a room with French doors that opened up to a balcony overlooking Duval Street which, like New York City, never sleeps.

"What do you say, Bailey? I promise to have you back in time for work Monday morning."

"I can't take off with you to Key West this weekend."

"Sure you can."

She looked at him like she thought he'd lost his mind.

"So, you know I have that thing tomorrow, right?"

"Thing? You'll have to be a little more specific."

"The thing at your partner Sam's house. Welcoming me to Miami. And introducing me to potential benefactors for programs for the kids." She paused. "The thing that you suggested to Tito, and apparently Mitsy suggested to you. Not that she mentioned anything about it to me."

Damn. How could he have forgotten that was this weekend?

"That's this weekend."

"Right," she said, suddenly looking a little ill at ease.

"Nervous?" he asked her.

"No," she said, obviously lying.

"Bailey. It's just a party. When Mitsy brought it up, I thought it was the perfect way to welcome you to Miami and give you a jump start on some contacts you'll want to follow up with."