Chapter XI: Family Heritage

A/N: not edited.
Xavier's superstitions were true. He knew there was something else about this she wolf. All of his past readings have led to this moment.

She shifted back, Kelly grabbing her the sheet that was rested on the end of the guest bed.

Xavier walked out to make some calls, but before walking out he turned to look at Isla, her brown hair cascading down her shoulders, shadowing her face from his eyes like a waterfall. Her body was quivering from the pain of the forceful prolonged shift, or so they thought.

Isla bit her lip anxiously, even though she had defended her fathers legacy, she knew one thing. There was a possibility that her father was actually alive this whole time, when she thought she was all alone. She saw the attack that happened to her pack and felt the excruciating pain of losing everyone, but now she questioned what it really was. She felt incredulous about the thought of her father being alive; possibly more of her old pack as well. She was more than eager to help find this travelling pack. Her superstitions coming from the fact that her father had taught her the exact coding and decryption when she was young. They were like doing puzzles.

"Isla come here and complete this message that I've created for you."

Her little feet pattered across the ground as fast as they could take her. She had enjoyed her fathers little puzzles. She jumped onto her fathers lap with a loud "Oomph".

"Calm down Isla" His throaty chuckle was deep and rumbled in his chest.

"Now here is the alphabet chart with each coded symbol they represent." Her father handed her the chart. Her little hands grabbed the 2B pencil that was large in her tiny hands.

The pencil moved along roughly and squiggled with the 7 year old not able to hold the pencil properly yet. Her writing skills would mature eventually, but for now her writing would be good enough if she could decipher the codes her father writes.

"Papa, why do I always do these puzzewls?" She asked.

"Because some day sweet pea, if you, your mother or I are ever in trouble we can communicate through this way. Not many know this coding at all. A couple of elders, my head warrior, and my lead tracker know, and that's about it". He played with the soft smooth delicate brown hair that was tied in a pony tail.

"Not even bweta?" Her sweet brown doe eyes looked to her father when she finished her puzzle.

"Not even he knows sweet heart," he trailed off, "and some day, when you find your mate and have your own children, then you can teach them our codes , but even then. I don't want you telling anyway else. Okay?"

"Okay papa." She nodded her little head. "I hope my mate is just like you papa. Your so gwood to mama." 

He smiled at her innocence. So pure and fragile he hoped that she would never change from being his sweet little princess. Being top alpha though, he was always worried, because he had more enemies that wanted his ranking. That was why he knew that this coding was important.

Isla wiped away the lone tear that managed to escape. From the pain of the loss of her family, her pack and that the mate she ever dreamed of having wasn't accepting the mate bond. She couldn't comprehend why the moon goddess was punishing her. Hadn't she lost enough and been through enough pain. She was able to move on from the constant grief that wrapped her body in its tight constraints, but the possibility of her father being alive was a dangerous game of hope that could either destroy her again or brighten up her life. But she chose to shove down any hope because she knew that playing with this fire would burn her body and mind with its flaming hands.