05

Melena and Lando plopped down into the grass, a decent view of the circuit in front of them. Lando placed his chicken salad on his thighs, legs crossed and out in front of him. He didn't waste any time. 'So?' He started, pricking his fork into the plastic bowl, giving his friend a curious look. 'Isn't there something we were supposed to talk about?' He asked with a raised brow. 

The youngest Verstappen inhaled deeply, held her breath for a moment. 'I don't know. I... guess I finally talked to him after months.'

Lando chewed on some chicken, swallowed, then looked back at her. 'Well, that's progress. What did he say?'

Melena took a bite out of her salmon sandwich, giving herself time to think of an answer to give him. What was she supposed to say? She shrugged, shook her head with another dramatic exhale. 'He basically told me that he still loves me, but I'm not sure what I should do with that.' She explained, again looking at a chewing Lando, who gestured for her to continue talking. 'To sum it all up, I really just wanted to kiss him.' She sighed.

Lando raised a brow. 'You did?' He asked with a surprised tone. 'I thought you were still angry with him.'

'I was. I am.' She brushed her hair behind her ear, feeling the guilt creeping in, the shame, the desire to be with him again, simply everything. 'I just... I still love him, you know.'

Lando glanced at the time on his phone, then back at her. 'Did you tell him that?' He asked, moving his fork through his salad messily. From the look on her face, he could already tell that she hadn't, but also that she wasn't telling him everything. 'What else did you talk about?' He asked.

Melena looked ahead, thinking back to that moment with Pierre — the cold air clinging to her shoulders, his blue eyes standing out beyond the darkness, the awkward silences, the warmth of his presence, then, later, that one text. "Hiding what we feel for each other isn't going to help. You know that, right? Admit it, you felt it too that night." She never would've expected him to speak such words, but he had. And somehow they meant everything to her, even now, even today.

She had long forgotten about her sandwich, it resting uselessly between her fingers. Instead of eating she started picking at the strands of grass. 'He texted me. Asking me to coffee. I basically rejected him, but said I'd consider it.'

'And then?' Lando asked quickly, noticing her falling into a pause.

The brunette bit down on her bottom lip, already giving her feelings away. 'He texted me around midnight, basically saying that suppressing our feelings for each other isn't going to help anything. Wait, I'll show you.'

She fished her phone out of the back pocket of her jeans, unlocked it, opened Pierre's chat, and handed Lando her phone.

His curious eyes moved over the screen, frowning, then smiling to himself. 'Damn. He really misses you, doesn't he?' While swiping up, he continued to read the few texts. 'Must've been jealous, then. Remember you were basically humping my buddy Sainz? Did he see that?' He grinned.

Melena scoffed, yanked her phone out of Lando's hand and shook her head. 'I wasn't humping him, Lando! It's called dancing for fuck's sake!' She still gave him a little smile.

'Sure, sure.' Lando grinned. 'Anyway, are you going for that coffee with him?'

She didn't need to think hard about the answer to that question. 'No, I'm not going to date anyone for a while, especially not Pierre. Being single has been surprisingly good to me.' She rambled on, taking a bite from her sandwich, which suddenly tasted much more like heaven now that Pierre had been on her mind almost endlessly. 'I swore to myself to stay clear of him, of boys, men— all of them. Romantically, I mean. Don't be stupid.' She quickly said when Lando raised his brows, acting horribly offended.

He allowed a little laugh to escape his mouth. 'Yeah, because how could one even live without the great Lando Norris?'

'Shut up right now. Don't think I won't do a Norris cleanse. I so might.'

Still chewing, he spoke. 'You wouldn't dare.'

'I definitely would.'

They went on like that for a moment. Lando then plucked a handful of grass out of the ground, threw it at her with a smirk on his face. 'You can't live without me. Everyone knows this. Why are you trying to hide it, Mel?' He teased.

'Hey!' Trying to hide herself and her lunch from the flying grass was no longer an option. It had already ended up on her sandwich. 'It's you that can't live without me, obviously.' She ran her fingers through her dark hair, trying to remove each and every strand of grass.

Lando, having finished his salad, laid flat down on his back, staring up at the clear blue sky. 'Well...' He exhaled with exaggeration. 'At least one of us is getting some action.'

Melena raised her brows in surprise. She knew he'd been seeing a beautiful Portugese, but he hadn't elaborated like she had. She was about to ask him what he meant, because she'd been dying to know more about the girl, but Lando was already pushing his phone under her nose. Where Melena expected to see a picture, anything at all, she almost read aloud some extremely dirty texts.

She threw his phone back at him, having it land softly into the grass. 'Seriously, Lando? I don't need to see that.'

He couldn't help but grin mischievously. 'Ah... come on, Mel. I know you've had your fair share of dirty texting with Pierre.'

The girl tilted her head, scoffing once again at the McLaren-driver. 'That doesn't mean I want to see your dirty texting.' She spat, giving him a gentle kick with her foot, which he then grabbed, dragging her down towards him.

The rest of the hours slipped away just like that, quickly and way too easily. Melena hung out in the paddock with Daniel Ricciardo, then fell into a brief conversation with Charles, meanwhile doing everything that was physically and mentally possible to avoid running into her ex-boyfriend. Which she succeeded in, but would it last?

»‍       ‍ »‍       ‍ »

mel.verstappen posted on their story

verstappen posted on their story

17

17.15

danielricciardo
Replied to your story
↳ I always knew he'd end
up there. Now he can really
showcase his talents!

07.28

mel.verstappen
Exactly!