Chapter 35: Nine Votes

CASTIEL

CASTIEL

"Your bank account ending in XXXXXX1219 has been credited with P30,000."

I CAME to a sudden halt as I read the notification that flashed on my phone screen. My eyes stared at the numbers for a second. I clicked my tongue. Instead of being grateful, I felt the guilt that had been locked away in my heart and the rage that I had been trying so hard to contain.

My thumb pressed the sleep button before sliding the phone back into my right pocket. Nagpatuloy na ako sa paglalakad, nakaantabay ang walking cane sa aking kaliwa. My leg had been getting better, according to my last therapy session. Kung magpapatuloy ang improvement, magagawa ko na raw maglakad ulit gaya ng dati. It might take a few months though.

What I needed to control was my stress level. Kapag tumataas ito, nararamdaman din ng binti ko. The doctor advised me to avoid all potential stressors so I would not feel any pain. But that was virtually impossible. The stressor itself was in the university where I spent most of my time. Maybe I should take some meditation classes. That might help me manage my stress.

A raindrop then fell on the lens of my eyeglasses. Huminto ako para tanggalin ang aking salamin at punasan ang lente gamit ang sleeve ko. As I put it back on, I lifted my head to look up. Dark clouds were brewing above, a signal of an incoming storm. I heard from the news that a tropical storm was on its way north of the country. Asahan na raw ang malalakas na pag-ulan sa mga susunod na araw.

Ang mabagal na kakaunting patak, bumilis at dumami pa. I was only a couple of meters away from the admin building, so I had to limp my way there as quickly as I could. Ginawa kong payong ang kanang kamay ko. Students around me began to run in different directions. Only I was left alone in the open field.

Basang-basa ang parteng balikat ng maroon blazer ko. May mga tumutulo ring patak mula sa aking buhok. Mukha na siguro akong basang sisiw. My hair must also be a total mess. But I could care less. I went straight inside the building and walked all the way to the USC office. As the door opened, the heavy downpour began to pound on the roof. When the door closed, the sound of the pouring rain went mute.

Dumeretso na ako sa aking puwesto, nilagpasan ang cubicles ng mga kasama ko. They followed me with their curious gazes. I was glad that they did not comment about my wet look. Agad kong tinanggal ang aking blazer at isinampay sa backrest ng swivel chair. I was in my black vest and white longsleeved shirt.

Sumilip ako sa cubicle sa aking kaliwa. The seat was occupied by a shoulder bag and the desktop computer was off.

"Where's Val?" I asked.

"Pumunta na siya sa LEXECOM office para sa voting ng Freedom of Information bill," Sabrina answered. "May kailangan ka ba sa kanya?"

Oh, right. Today was the day that the nine chairpersons would decide on the fate of our landmark proposal. We did what we could to ensure its passage in the committee. Based on Val's count, we would have five votes in favor and four votes against. The bill would certainly pass, if things would go the way we expected. Ilang araw na rin ang lumipas mula nang kausapin namin ang kaalyado ni Alaric the Prick na si Chevy Serrano. My fingers were crossed that he would not renege on our agreement. Otherwise, I would make sure to destroy him and his council.