Chapter 49: Last-Ditch Effort

A/N: THIS IS THE PENULTIMATE (SECOND TO THE LAST) CHAPTER OF PTQ'S ACT ONE!

CASTIEL

LET ME tell you about my last-ditch effort to save the day.

When Priam landed a punch in my face yesterday, that was exactly the moment I realized I could take advantage of my unfortunate situation. I knew that it was all going downhill from there for me. Nagkalamat na ang relasyon ko kay Fabienne 'tapos parurusahan pa ako ni Priam.

This all happened because the busybody Reynard Falcon told the First Lady his suspicions about the fake rumor that I had spread weeks ago. He must be expecting a fall out between me and Fabienne, and between Fabienne and the USC. The first one came true while the second one was averted.

Reynard was not on the rooftop, so there was no way for him to find out that something happened there, right? Wrong. Students who took pictures of Priam and Fabienne drenched in the rain and coming down the stairs somewhat played an unexpected part in my plan. Kapag nakita na ni Reynard ang picture na kumalat sa CampuSite, maiisip niyang may nangyari kay Fabienne na dahilan kaya ito natulala sa litrato. He might think: Fab must have confronted the USC and found out the truth. Everything must be going exactly as I have anticipated.

My suspension for two weeks probably played the biggest factor. Nang lumabas ako ng conference room matapos naming mag-usap ni Priam, naghanap ako ng paraan para ma-send ang anonymous tip kay Reynard. Yes, I was the one who informed him that I had been suspended. I wanted to reinforce the idea in his mind that everything was really going exactly as he had expected.

This morning, when he confirmed from Rowan that I was suspended or on leave, he must have sensed the sweet smell of victory. I was on my knees. Just one kick from him, I would be completely down and defeated.

So to recap: the sad photo of Fabienne and the news of my suspension assured Reynard that he was winning. His next move was to wait for Fabienne to approach him and expose everything. And that was where exactly I needed to intervene.

Unfortunately, the consequences of my actions were all real. Fabienne was mad at me, and I got suspended. Balak kong magpalipas muna ng ilang araw bago kausapin siya. Gusto ko munang palamigin ang issue. But when Sabrina informed me that The Herald would have an exclusive exposé this afternoon, there was no time to waste anymore. I had to act quickly. Promptly I left the hospital and returned to campus halfway through lunchtime. I pulled every string that I could to force Fabienne to meet with me privately. And this must happen before four o'clock, the scheduled time of the exposé.

I went straight to the Guidance and Counseling Center. Dr. Grace Carreon, the director, was a good friend of mine since I went to counseling sessions after the accident that damaged my leg. Pinayagan niya akong gamitin ang isa sa mga room dito para sa meeting namin.

Fabienne was immediately contacted by the center. Nagkaroon na rin siya ng ilang sessions sa counsellor matapos ang fake rumor incident—na ako ang nagpasimula. She was asked to come here for a quick follow-up, especially since a photo of her looking sad circulated on the CampuSite.