(Chapter 11) Party Poison

The week leading up to the dance dragged by ever so slowly, ramping up my anticipation for the inevitable evening. My excitement peaked, yet anxiety began to encroach on me. Hopefully, I would have an amazing time, but there was an absolute possibility for Courtney to pull something, or sideline me from the group. The weight of the realization that most likely my night would be lackluster hit me as I applied a coat of burgundy lipstick; I scowled at this fact, deciding that I would try my best to have fun and have it not be squashed by her silly antics. 

I finished up my makeup, standing further back from the mirror to inspect how I looked. I moved my hands over my hips, straightening my dress. I won't hold off on saying,  that I looked pretty damn good. I actually felt like I could measure up, or even look better than Courtney that day. Frank had a knack for picking out dresses apparently because it combined with my jacket, complemented my body exquisitely. I would have never landed on it if I was just shopping alone, so I gave all props to him. I'd get him a pack of cigarettes later as thanks

I sat on my bed, slipping on my combat boots, deliberating over what would ensue in the next few hours. Just then, the doorbell chimed, informing me that Frank had arrived to take me to the dance. Gerard had to escort Courtney, Ray was taking the rest of the guys and their girlfriends, so Frank and Jamia graciously allowed me to third wheel on their drive over.  I stepped down the stairs, opening the front door happily. "Y/n!" Frank greeted, throwing his arms around me joyfully. "WOW, you look fucking sexy!" He exclaimed, stupefied, Jamia nodding vigorously in agreement. 

"Hell yeah, you're gonna get Gerard with that and all the chemistry you two have. Courtney is over!" Jamia announced in triumph, a content smile appearing on all of our faces as we laughed. 

"I sure hope so, even if he doesn't go out with you, the end of the relationship from hell is near," Frank added. "Even though for a fact, I believe that you two will succumb to your desires and finally get it on. You can trust my intuition since I AM THE LOVE WIZARD!" Frank yelled facing the street, causing an annoyed yet perplexed look to appear on our neighbor, who was reading on her porch, face. 

"Don't pay any attention to him, Miss Wilkins, he's crazier than eating soup with a fork!" I called, causing her to shake her head and get back to what she was doing. 

"Well we ought to head out, or else the dance is gonna happen without us," Jamia commented, making us head to the car, getting in and joyriding to the dance.

Upon arrival, the three of us wandered through the gym doors, opening them to reveal the long-awaited dance. Loud shitty pop music laced over the top of the noise of the boisterous crowd of teens. "I'm gonna get some punch, let's hope someone spiked it already!" Frank called before disappearing into the party. 

"I swear, that child," Jamia shook her head with disapproval. 

"Well let's see if we can find the guys," I proposed, leading her onward to find our friends. 

After a minute or so of wandering around, we luckily heard the voice of Ray noticing us walking aimlessly. "Y/n, Jamia!" He called, ushering us toward our circle of friends. We joined them, hanging around near the wall, outside of the dance floor. 

The she-devil herself was leaned against the wall, red dress and stiletto shoe clad, inspecting her recently manicured nails. Her gaze lifted to the two of us as Gerard's voice piped up, "Hey-" He began as he stopped short, scanning not so discreetly over my outfit. My eyes must have been tricking me when I thought his cheeks tinted a light pink, or perhaps the lighting caused the effect. Courtney's face scrunched as if she had just tasted a bitter lemon, utter reproach shining through her features. 

"Oh goddamn you Courtney, try and hide your dissatisfaction that somebody outdid you for just one second and let Y/n have her moment," Christa objected, rolling her eyes heavily at the immaturity that emanated from the scornful Courtney. 

"Whatever are you talking about Christa?" She replied with innocence as she folded her hands petulantly, causing both Christa and I to scoff. 

"Join the conga line bitches!" Frank paraded over to us with about ten people linked behind him. Anything to get away from that shrew. We all tagged on to the conga line, picking up other people until we had a substantial line going. We laughed as we forgot our troubles as we kicked our legs out accordingly, keeping it going for a couple more songs. Eventually, the line disbanded and dispersed into the original sea of students that it was prior. "Frank Iero, bringing the party to this bland ass shindig," Frank announced, tooting his own horn. 

"Well that was one hell of an arrival, Iero," Mikey commented. 

"Oh, I've been here for a while. Wreaking havoc and such," he chuckled in response. 

"Seems about right," Mikey replied. 

After a little while longer of conversations and punch drinking, finally, a slow song came on over the speakers. I scanned around the group again, locking eyes with Gerard. Surprisingly, he stepped closer. "Could I have this dance with you, Miss L/n," He asked with a laugh, catching me off guard. Calm the fuck down Y/n, he just wants to dance as friends. 

 "Of course, Way," I curtsied before grasping his hand, leading us to the dance floor. I didn't bother looking over at Courtney because I could already feel her gaze burning into our backs as we left the group.

His hands found their way to my waist and mine to his strong shoulders, as we began to sway around. "I'm surprised you and Courtney aren't dancing together, but I'm not complaining," I observed. 

"I slow-danced with her earlier and to be honest, I want to limit my interactions with her this evening. She's being a child," He talked with near disdain toward her. "She can't be the star of the show every waking moment, she needs to let somebody else have the floor for once. She needs to grow the fuck up and realized she isn't the center of the universe. I'm sure as hell not going to treat her as such anymore," He commented coldheartedly. 

"You're ruthless tonight, damn," I shook my head, biting my lip. 

"It's warranted though, right? She needs to be shown up." He added, causing me to reply with a nod. "You look amazing tonight by the way," He said bashfully. A blush rose to my cheeks in response, causing me to look away from his soft hazel eyes. "Aww, Y/n's blushing!" He exclaimed, adorably. 

"No, I'm not, it's just warm in here," I chuckled at my failed attempt at a lie. 

"Yeah right..." He trailed off as we settled into a comforting silence. The noise around us blurred into obscurity as all we could focus on was each other. The rest of the scenery around us didn't matter, just him and me. 

As the song came to a close, we parted almost with despair. That was a moment when I actually felt genuine, pure happiness without any looming anxieties or issues. Being with him was almost like a release of all my problems, how unfortunate that I couldn't have him all the time like that. 

We made our way toward where the group reconvened after that song. As we got there I was pulled out of my lovestruck daze by, "BITCH!" A shrill voice roared behind me, pulling me by my arm to face her. I was met with a cold splash of punch, drenching my dress, causing me to squeeze my eyes shut with shock. "That's what you get! Stay away from MY boyfriend you slut!" She hollered as she threw the Solo cup at me for good measure and walked away mercilessly. 

I couldn't think about anything else to do but run away. Run away from the ever-increasing volume of people around me gossiping, the music ringing loudly in my ears, all causing me to slam my hands over my ears as I fled. 

My feet led me to the girl's bathroom, the stall furthest from the door. As I curled up on the floor, leaning against the wall, I realized my dress wasn't the only thing sodden. The tears had begun to fall. What a wonderful way to end the night.