(Chapter 17) The Talk of the Town

Soon after we rightfully punished Frank for being an intrusive fuckass, Gerard and I wordlessly decided that we would throw care to the wind and begin to act more and more like a couple outwardly. This began with Gerard showing up bright and early one morning before school and deciding that he would sashay me into the unassuming school building with his arm draped around my waist, occasionally glancing down at me. 

By doing this, he, the most popularly fawned over boy in the school, would make the speechless declaration of his new relationship. His aura would be apparent as casual confidence, knowing full well the implications of the simple action would entail. As we sauntered inattentively into the building and began to make our way to our lockers, you could tell by the outbreaks of whispers and looks that we were gonna be the big talk of the day, quite possibly for the next while. 

Some clusters of students would only whisper or nudge their peers of our great passing through, others would be washed over with a wave of outrage as possibly I had taken their golden opportunity and had successfully achieved the heart of Gerard. My emotions were both conflicted. On one hand, I felt sure of myself and a little confident, but the other part of me felt nervous and hated the given attention. "Don't pay any attention to them," Gerard eased as he swiftly picked up on the nervous part winning the battle from me trying to hide further in his side, wanting to become invisible. I slowly complied as he tightened his grip slightly. 

We proceeded, arriving at our lockers and to our friends. We were welcomed warmly by them all, especially with Frank and I engaging in our secret handshake like always. I could tell by his demeanor and lack of vivaciousness that he was still salty over us spending all his money. I still didn't feel bad in the slightest. 

The conversation began to pick up until one thing I hoped wouldn't happen did. The telltale click-a-clack of her vile heels smacked viciously against the floor tiles, making her mood apparent before she even leered her petulant face at you. "Well, well, well, isn't it the new couple of the hour," she opened motioning toward the two of us, Gerard still with his arm wrapped around me, protectively. 

"Oh and here's the dramatic bitch of the ages," Gerard tipped his imaginary hat to her, clearly displaying disapproval of her presence. "What would you need on a lovely morning such as today? Come to persuade me into getting back with you?" He asked knowingly.

"No, I just wanted to say how over the moon I am for you two. I hope you can have such a lovely relationship while it lasts. Gerard your really great at picking out rebounds if I do say so myself," she replied feeling proud of herself, placing her hands on her hips with sass. 

"Well I hate to break it to you, but I've been happier the last week than our year-long relationship collectively. Hun, you're just not all that special and are just a manipulative asshole. Get over yourself and realize that I'd never leave anyone to be with you again," he threw the sass right back at her, cocking his hip out to one side and pulling me closer. 

"Well just be the arrogant bastard you always were and don't take my thoughts into consideration," she said back, almost caught off guard.

Instead of responding with words, we simply connected into a kiss as a reply. This seemed to have more magnitude than a silly retort would have, seeing as she scampered away fairly quickly, letting out a shrill hmph sound. We parted, both giggling at her feeble attempt. 

Moments later, the bell chimed alerting us to the start of class. We trotted on in an almost daze-like state, holding each other's hands. Thrilled awe from Frank and some of the rest of our friends rang behind us, causing both of us to simultaneously flip them off with the unoccupied hand. 

Throughout the day, multiple people would come up to me, "Y/n, are the rumors true?" or "How is it to date the school's hottest guy?" They would ask dreamily, looking like they were in La-La Land. This all came as something new to me, seeing as I was usually the one who was ignored, but these kids were just foaming at the mouth for the latest drama. 

In response, I would simply laugh and shake my head, telling them that quote, "It was everything you would dream of," just to shut them up. They all would seem satisfied with this, sometimes asking some logistics about how he treated me, but besides that, they would retreat; talking amongst themselves as they walked off. 

I was getting kind of tired of people, so when lunchtime came around, I directed us to sit outside at the bleachers instead. Since it was winter then, it was rather chilly. None of us minded though, me especially as Gerard's lap posed as a very cozy spot rather than the ice-cold metal of the bleacher. "Comfy?" Gerard chuckled, retrieving his carton of cigarettes from his pocket and placing one delicately between his lips. 

"Mhm," I replied simply, playing with a lock of his hair. I promptly snatched the recently lit cigarette after he took the first drag. Our eyes locked and we stared dumbly at each other, basking in the presence of the other. 

"Ahem, hello!" Frank called. "We're trying to talk to you y'know," he laughed at our inability to pay attention to anyone other than ourselves. "Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah..." And then his rambles faded into the background again. 

It was so baffling how hopelessly we'd fallen in love and how fast it had occurred from the time we confessed. We were obsessed with each other, inseparable. It shows how long we'd both been waiting for that move to happen, but it had been stunted by our own lack of confidence. It was almost as if we were making up for the months and months of time where we could have been together. I never wanted it any other way, I was happy. This was how I wanted life to go on and on. But you see, plans can always change; Sometimes outside of our own control. 

A/N: Sorry this was just some filler. I wanted one more chapter before the next one since it is a pivotal one. So, buckle up, hold on to your hats and any other sayings that mean get prepared because next chapter the plot will thicken! That's all the information you get. Have a lovely day rats! - Sav