Chapter Eleven

Ambitious mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is!

It should be noted that the duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of ever marrying. This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.

Anthony now found himself at his club once again, for he had planned to meet Simon later that day. The two were seated across from one another, both feeling buzzed from the alcohol. Simon sipped his drink before speaking, "I do suppose, if it were not for an overzealous mother at every corner, this time of year in the city would not be so very dreadful." Anthony shrugged, "Those mothers simply want the same as you, I rather think."

Simon arched a brow skeptically, "For every last one of them to choke on their daughters' hair ribbons?" Anthony rolled his eyes, "For you to claim a wife, Hastings. Are you truly not planning to take your place in society? When you have a Dukedom?" Simon stared at the man,"I have a title. Which, as far as I am concerned, will end with me." He said sternly. Anthony sighed at the man's words, "Hastings-"

"Would you stop calling me that? It was my father's name. Never mine." He snapped. Anthony eyed him for a moment before sipping his drink in silence. "In any case, what of you?" Simon questioned. It was Anthony's turn to arch an eyebrow, "What of me?" 

"You are the firstborn Bridgerton of a firstborn Bridgerton nine times over. Where is your wife?" Anthony's thoughts shifted to Loren for a moment, before he shook his head, downing his drink. "Is your plan to fuck her forever? Your mistress." Simon assumed, knowing that he'd struck a nerve. Simon knew that Anthony was ashamed of his affair with the opera singer, and yet, he continued to see her. And Simon believed that the reason behind this was that he was attempting to avoid his personal feelings.

 Sienna's words replayed in Anthony's head, 'I think you love her. But you are afraid to admit it. For you do not want to love anyone.' 

Never had something been more true.

Simon continued, drawing man out of his thoughts, "You shall need to sire a heir." Anthony chuckled, trying to cover up what he was truly feeling, "I am in possession of something you are not... brothers." Simon, who was quite confused, "You will pass the task on to one of them? She must be quite a mistress." Anthony held no response, but instead changed the subject, "You shall not outrun them. The eager mothers of this town. The harder you try to avoid them, the harder they try to find you. I would be willing to bet on it."

Simon sighed, knowing that his friend was probably right.

***

It has reached my ears that the betting books at White's propose the most fascinating of pairings this season. In other news, a most peculiar suitor for Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged. Though this miss cannot possibly believe that the town idiot will be able to reverse her rather dire circumstances, can she?

The Bridgerton's along with Loren, of course, now found themselves at the opera house. Blazing chandeliers floated above the packed theater.  Daphne stood closely to Loren, their arms linked. Loren was scanning the room in search of Anthony, for the man had left earlier than the rest of the family. But instead of seeing the eldest Bridgerton, she locked eyes with the toad that was Nigel Berbrooke. It seems as though Daphne had seen him as well for she was now desperately calling to Violet, "Our box, Mama." Violet nodded, beginning to lead the girls, but halted when a voice called after them, "Lady Bridgerton! Join us!" It was the infamous Lady Danbury, Queen Charlotte standing beside her. Violet smiled, approaching the two woman, Daphne and Loren in tow. 

"Lady Bridgerton." The Queen greeted as the three women bowed. "Your Majesty. Good evening." Violet greeted, "You must remember my daughter, Daphne." Queen Charlotte nodded, "Yes. She made quite an impression. How ever fleeting it may have been." Violet held a smile, although Loren could tell that the woman was annoyed at the Queen's words.

Queen Charlotte now turned her attention to Loren, "And who is this?" Loren curtsied, "Loren Smith, it's an honor, Your Majesty." At the sound of the woman's name, a look of judgement washed over her calm expression, "So, you are the one who is involved with the Viscount?" The woman tried to hold her smile as she replied, "Your Majesty, I assure you that there is nothing between the Viscount and I." 

A smug smirk crossed the Queen's face as her gaze fastened on something behind them, "We'll see about that." She said with a sassy tone before strutting away. Loren glanced over her shoulder, and to her surprise, saw Anthony. 

Lady Danbury spoke up, drawing the woman's attention back to the ladies, "I would like to welcome you all to my box this evening. I insist." Loren glanced back at Anthony to see him waving at her, before she faced Lady Danbury again, "I believe I will have to decline, Lady Danbury. Someone is waiting for me." Before the woman could respond, Loren quickly said, "I bid you all a good evening." Then, she whirled around, making her way through the crowd until she reached Anthony, who was staring at her with a puzzled look on his face, "What was that all about?" He questioned. "Oh nothing, Lady Danbury just invited Daph and your Mother to sit with her." Anthony nodded, "I see. So, will it just be the two of us tonight?" He asked, referring to the Bridgerton box. "I believe so." Loren replied. Anthony reached into the pocket of his waistcoat, retrieving his pocket watch, "We should probably make our way to our box, or else we might never get there with all of the people around." He said. 

Loren smiled, "That sounds like an excellent idea." Anthony held out his arm, "Shall we?" Loren linked her arm with his, "We shall." 

The couple then entered the theater, unaware of what would occur later that night.

Um. So apparently the script I was using was out of order, and the club scene with Simon was supposed to happen before the horse riding scene. But it's fine ig. 

Next chapter, we're gonna see some Loranthony (or Anthoren idk yet) moments, but it ain't gonna be too cute, and also some drama with Sienna... and hopefully soon I can move on to episode two bc I did not realize how much I was dragging this on. 

Sorry 'bout it.

Thank you for reading! Comment your thoughts! Also, I'd really appreciate ideas for scenes between Loren and Anthony, or just anything you want to see happen in this story, so please comment your input, I'd love to hear it!

Btw, I might've already written their first kiss bc I was bored....  😊

-Av-