Chapter Forty-Two

When Loren arrived at the parlor, she saw Charles was waiting for her, a large bouquet of flowers in his hand. His face lit up the moment he saw her enter the room, "Good morning,  Loren!" He greeted, approaching the woman. "Good morning to you, Charles." She said with a smile. Charles extended the flowers toward her, his handsome grin faltering, "I didn't know what you liked--so I just got a little bit of everything. I hope they are to your liking.." Loren could sense the nervousness in his voice and found it absolutely adorable. She took the bouquet from his hand, "I love them Charles, it was a very sweet gesture." 

A pink blush dusted the man's cheeks, "I am glad you like them." He said. The woman arched a dark brow, "You thought I wouldn't?" Charles' eyes widened, "No! No, I just-I didn't know what you preferred."

Loren let out a hearty laugh, "I am only teasing you, Charles. I rarely ever receive flowers from any suitors, so this is very much appreciated." This seemed to calm the man, who had spent almost an hour at the flower shop fretting over which flower arrangement the woman would prefer. He wanted to make sure it was perfect for her, and was very much relieved that she enjoyed them.

Loren handed the bouquet to Poppy, her maid, and requested for the flowers to be put in a vase and sent up to her chambers. She then turned to Charles, "So, what brings you here this morning?" "Besides to see the most beautiful woman in Grosvenor  Square?" Loren felt her face flush as she turned away, "Stop it, you are making me blush." 

"Am I wrong though?" 

Loren giggled giddily as butterflies erupted in her stomach before facing him again, "You never answered my question." The man flashed her a handsome smile, "I wish to take you somewhere. I thought about our conversations last night, and found the perfect place to spend the day." This caught Loren's interest. The previous evening they had discussed many things, reading, horseback riding, pall-mall, what could he possibly have in mind.

"Where are we going?" She questioned. "It's a surprise, my dear Loren. But I assure you that you will enjoy it." The woman stared at him with wonder in her eyes. This was her first time being truly pursued by a man who was very much interested in her, she never realized how exciting it was.

"That sounds wonderful Charles, when are we to leave?" She watched as he retrieved a golden pocket watch from his breast pocket, "I'd say now, if that is alright?" Loren had no plans for the day, and if she did, she would easily cancel them, "Now sounds perfect. I shall go tell Violet, and then we shall be on our way." 

"Might I join you? I wish to speak with Benedict this morning, I would very much like to meet up with him at some point." Loren nodded, and without another word the two linked arms and made their way to the dining room. 

The entire family was now awake and eating, they were all shocked to see the couple appear. Benedict rose from his seat, approaching Charles with his signature grin, "Hello again!" He greeted, shaking his hand. "Good to see you again, Bridgerton." Loren smiled at the two before turning to Violet, "Charles wishes to spend some time together this morning, is that alright with you?" 

The older woman smiled softly, "Of course dear. You are an adult now, you do not need to ask permission." Loren was grateful for Violet's support, it was nice to see the family happy that she was enjoying her company with a nice gentlemen. 

Despite her best efforts, her gaze flickered to Anthony, she was surprised to find that he was already staring at her. His dark eyes burned with intensity, causing Loren to gulp nervously. She tore her gaze away before turning back to Charles, "Shall we be going?" Before the man could utter a word, the sound of wood scraping wood filled the room as all eyes fell on the eldest Bridgerton, who was rising from his seat abruptly. 

"Mother, shouldn't they need a chaperone?"

Violet stared at him in confusion, "Pardon?" Loren groaned internally. Was he seriously doing this?? Anthony gestured to Loren and Charles, "Lady Whistledown has returned. What if she sees them out promenading unchaperoned? Surely it will cause a scandal."

"Anthony-"

"Someone should go with them. And considering my schedule is free at the current moment, I believe I should be the one to chaperone." Violet attempted to argue, but it seemed like his mind was already made up. He glanced at Loren, "I shall fetch my hat and then we shall go." He stalked out of the dining room, leaving the entire family flabbergasted. 

Loren was utterly speechless at the man's behavior. She needed to speak with him, for she would no allow him to ruin her chances with Charles. The woman excused herself before rushing to catch up with Anthony. He was already halfway up the large marble staircase when she caught up with him, "What are you doing?" She demanded.

He stared at her dumbfound, "Fetching my hat?"

"No. Why do you wish to chaperone?" "I explained myself downstairs, weren't you listening?" Loren groaned, "That is not the true reason and you know it, why do you wish to chaperone??" Anthony sighed deeply, "Did you just forget about us--what happened between us? You seemed so distraught, and now he swooped in and it seems as though you've moved on completely." 

Loren's jaw dropped slightly. "Are you fucking with me right now?" She asked, not caring about her vulgar language, "You are upset because I have moved on?? Did you forget that you are also looking for a wife??" 

"That does not mean I have moved on, Loren! I still love and care for you very much!" He protested. "Then why didn't you say that??" Loren exclaimed, feeling her emotions grow stronger with each sentence, "When I returned from France, I was willing to continue this. I was ready to marry you, to have your children, to live out my days with you. All I needed was for you to try, Anthony! You say you love me, so why didn't you wait for me?!" 

The man remained silent, too stunned to speak. Loren let out a shakey breath, "I gave everything for you, Anthony. And you gave me nothing. Now I have found someone who is geninuely interested in me and is willing to do whatever he must to be with me." She placed a hand on his shoulder, "I loved you, Anthony, I truly did, and I always will. But, we were never meant to be."

The woman turned to descend the stairs when Anthony called for her, "What of now?" Desperation strained his voice, some stupid part of him wished that she would still have hope for them. Her shoulders sagged in a sigh, "For us... there is no now."

-*-*-*-

this chapter was supposed to be strictly charles and loren but...

i really liked this chapter tbh, it makes me happy to see my baby Loren happy

i really liked this chapter tbh, it makes me happy to see my baby Loren happy. and we stan charles for being so sweet. and anthony... we don't talk about him rn.

thank you for reading and please comment any suggestions you have! i've received many suggestions already, and i am going to incorporate them in this story soon!

also: ST fans--if you wanna check out my steve harrington fic, i'll be updating that quite a bit soon.

-Av-