Chapter Thirty-Five

Time seemed to come to a complete stop as Loren gazed upon the man before him. He was just as handsome as he had been when Loren left him. Although she was shocked to find that he had finally shaved those dreaded sideburns. She found herself falling in love all over again. Just as she was about to greet him, he retreated out of the room. 

Loren, confused, turned her gaze upon Violet, "Should I follow him?" She questioned. Violet nodded, "Indeed, you should." Loren didn't need to be told twice. She rose immediately, rushing out of the parlor. The woman knew exactly where he would be, and so she scurrying up the large marble staircase. The slamming of a door in the near distance signaled to her that Anthony had now reached his study. 

Loren walked slowly down the corridor, reminiscing the memories created in this halls. Then she paused in front of a door. Her room. The footman had dropped off her trunk, but she had yet to enter it again. Her hand grasped the golden doorknob. She twisted it gently, pushing open the large door. A smile graced her lips as she gazed around the gorgeous room. Not a single item was out of place. It was just as she had left it. 

Except for one thing. 

A small book was placed upon the cream-colored sheets of her bed. As she approached the bed, she realized it was her copy of Pride and Prejudice. She had lent it to Anthony all those months ago, and he had returned it, in perfect condition just as he had promised. Her fingertips grazed the sleek cover as she lifted the novel. She flipped through the pages, wanting nothing more to reread it immediately, when a small piece of parchment fell from it's folds.

Loren's heart clenched as she recognized the handwriting, it was Anthony's. She knew that she was not in the right state of mind to read it. Therefore she took the parcel and placed it into the drawer of her nightstand. It was only then that she remembered her original mission, and she was determined to complete it. 

She left her bedroom and made her way down the hall to Anthony's study. Her first idea was to just barge in, but she realized it was rude, so instead she knocked. "Come in." His voice answered. Loren took a deep breath, her stomach nervous with butterflies, then she pushed open the door.

Anthony was seated at his desk, scrawling something across the parchment messily. He didn't bother to look up, for he knew exactly who it was. Loren glanced around the study, it looked very clean, more than usual. Before she left, papers would always be everywhere, and Loren had scolded him multiple times, saying that no one could work in such a mess. It seemed as though he had finally listened. 

Loren cleared her throat, turning her gaze to the man before her, "Hello Anthony." She greeted, unsure of what to say. "Hello Loren." He replied. The awkwardness was suffocating, neither knew how to strike up conversation. So Loren decided to bring up a subject that was gnawing at her, "Benedict tells me that you are searching for a Viscountess this season?" Anthony sighed deeply, finally looking up at the beautiful woman before him, "Can we not discuss this?" "I am only asking because I am curious. For last I thought we were to marry soon." Loren said, attempting to get him to open up. "That was before I did not receive any letters from you." 

"That was Alexandre's wife! I wrote letters to you everyday! But Nicolette, she never sent them!" Anthony shook his head, running his hands over his face as Loren continued, "You have to believe me, Anthony. I would never do such a thing." Anthony then rose from his seat, and began approaching Loren. "It does not matter the reason. I have waited too long. I now realize that I must take my place in this family. I must find my Viscountess." 

Anthony gazed down at Loren, they were merely a foot apart now. He wished for nothing more than to pin her against the wall and make love to her, to tell her how he missed her, how he loved her so so much. But he refrained. He had made it clear now to himself that he needed a Viscountess, and that it would never be Loren. Something would always be in the way, and they would never truly be happy together.

"I understand that it is a shock to you, for what we had was well--magical. But I stand before you now, and I ask that you will support me. I ask that you will help me find the suitable woman to be my Viscountess. Will you do that for me Loren?"

And despite all the hurt, despite the unshed tears, she found herself nodding. For if she could not be happy with Anthony Bridgerton, then she would help him find the woman who made him happy, even though she couldn't help but long that in the end, that woman would be her.

-*-*-*-

Sad boi hours lol.

I hate doing this to them butttt-it adds to ze drama

thank you for reading and please comment your thoughts!