Chapter Forty-One

The night carried on, and Loren had the most wonderful time. Charles was such a gentlemen, and he left her in awe. Most men found her to be beautiful and nothing more than a pretty face. But Charles wanted to learn about her and her interests. He wanted to know what she enjoyed, what she despised, her favorite book, her favorite color, he was genuinely interested in her and Loren found that fascinating.

His personality was so bubbly, and he was so sweet, the complete opposite of grumpy Anthony. In a way, he was refreshing, Loren had never met a man like Charles. But he was utterly amazing. It was as if God saw her struggles, heard her prayers, and sent her an angel in the form of a handsome gentlemen. 

When the Bridgertons returned home that night, Loren could not wipe the smile on her face. The entire family noticed the change in her mood, and most of them believed it was for the better. The woman had been in a state of sadness since returning from France, seeing her giddy and giggling over a nice man made them all happy. 

Except for Anthony of course.

After explaining the situation to his Mother, the elder woman had scolded him repeatedly. She didn't understand how her son could be such an idiot when it came to love, but she was very happy that Loren seemed to find someone who suited her.

Anthony had attempted to pull Loren aside and talk with her, but the woman refused. She would allow nothing to bring her down. So without another word to the family, Loren made her way upstairs, preparing for a night of beauty sleep filled with dreams of Charles Baird.

-*-*-*-

Loren awoke later than normal the next morning. She had the most amazing dream. The woman was with Charles, and the two were having a picnic in the park. They laughed, he read to her, and the date was ended with a sweet kiss shared between the two. Loren found herself wishing the dream was reality. 

It felt so refreshing to feel so strongly about someone besides Anthony. Although, they had barely spent any time together, she felt so drawn to him. With Anthony, her feelings would be overwhelmed with sadness for she believed he would never feel the same. But with Charles, it was obvious that he was actually interested in her, and not just reeled in by her pretty face. 

The woman quickly dressed in a baby blue frock, pulling her curls back into a low ponytail with a cream-colored ribbon. It wasn't normal for the woman to put her hair up, but she wanted to make a good impression if she saw Charles at some point that day.

She quickly exited her bedroom, and was met face to face with Anthony. He was dressed as well, with a confused look etched upon his face, "Loren? What are you doing?" "Breakfast." She said simply. Anthony's gaze flickered from her eyes to her hair, his brows arched, "What have you done with your hair?" Loren's curls were one of Anthony's favorite features of hers, and she was always willing to rebel against the normal rules of society and keep her locks down and free. 

Loren shrugged, "Just trying something new." She replied before pushing past the man. She felt bad, but she didn't wish for any confrontation. The woman was still elated from the night before, and she would not allow Anthony and his jealousy to bring her down.

She skipped down the stairs and made her way to the dining room, where Violet was seated with Benedict and Francesca. The older woman picked up on Loren's energy, "Someone seems happy this morning." The brunette smiled, "I am, Violet, I am so very happy. I spent my evening with a very handsome gentlemen." Benedict sent her a lopesided grin, "Charles seems to have you under a spell." Loren scoffed as she grabbed a biscuit from the silver platter upon the table, "There is no spell Benny. Charles is unlike any man I have ever met, and I enjoy his company very much." 

"It is very nice to see you happy, dear." Violet said, to which Loren replied, "It feels nice to be happy." The sound of footsteps clamoring down the staircase caught the adults attention. Anthony then entered the room, nodding in greeting toward his Mother and brother before shifting his gaze to Loren, who was currently stuffing her face with a biscuit in a very unattractive way. 

He approached her again, determined to discuss what happened between her and Charles, but was interrupted by a servant. "Miss Loren, there is a guest for you." Her eyes widened, "Who is it??" She asked, although she was aware who it was. "Sir Charles Baird, ma'am." Her cheeks flushed at the thought of the man waiting in the parlor for her. Loren glanced at the two people seated at the large dining table and asked, "Do I look alright?" 
"Beautiful, darling." Violet responded. Loren flashed her a bright smile before running out of the room. Anthony watched her go, clenching his fists as he let out a sigh. Benedict noticed his brother's distress and clicked his tongue, "You've lost her, brother. You must get over it." He said. Anthony rolled his eyes in a response, "Shut up, Benedict." 

And without another word, he exited the room, heading up to his study where he would spend the rest of his day moping and brooding over his lost love.

-*-*-*-

ik i said i'd update more, but writers block be killing me. this chapter is terrible, and i apologize. hopefully the next one will be better. 

next chapter will strictly be about loren and charles, bc i love them.

i honestly completely changed the plotline from what i originally had. in my og plotline, loren was just gonna be sad and watch anthony "fall" for kate--but y'all wanted her to be happy which is why i blessed you all with the wonderful ben barnes.

so i'm honestly just going off of the top of my head with chapters, i have no plan at the moment, so if anyone has suggestions, please comment them or message me! i am in desperate need of ideas!

on another note, i have started a steve harrington fanfic bc he now has a freaking chokehold on me, so if there are any ST fans, please check it out, i'd highly appreciate it.

anyways, thank you for reading, comment your thoughts, and i hope you have a great day/night

-Av-