12

I was sitting in papa's office

I was sitting in papa's office. He looks tense. Does he not want me anymore? Did I spend too much money?

"I'm sorry," I blurted before he could say anything, "I didn't mean to spend so much money. Adrian and Anubis and Soren insisted. They said it's ok." My voice got smaller at the last sentence.

"Huh? Oh no love. I'm not mad. And you didn't even buy enough things. You should've taken more. But that's not what I want to talk about."

Sigh. At least he's not mad about spending money on me.

"I think you should see a therapist love." His tone soft.

I nod even though I don't know if I want that. I'm so stupid.

"I think they'd be able to help you. With your trauma. It's ok if you don't want to see one. But I really think it'd help. You'd even be able to sleep better at night."

How did he know I can't sleep?

As if sensing my confusion papa said, "You have nightmares don't you. I went to check on you once and you were thrashing around. Crying."

I stayed silent not knowing what to do.

I don't want him to think I'm a silly little girl who can't even sleep.

"Think about it love. Then let me know."

______________________________________

Coming out of papa's office I went in search of Daemon. He's the one I feel safest with.

I searched the kitchen, the living room, the dining room, but I couldn't find him. Now I'm standing near a staricase that looks like it goes to the basement. Should I check there as well?

"Astrid," I heard Adonis call me, "what're you doing here?"

He seems a little edgy.

"I'm sorry. I was just looking for Daemon," I said looking at the floor.

Adonis gently took hold of my chin made me look at him. "Never lower your head."

I nodded. Daemon said that too the first time we met.

Giving me a sweet smile he said, "Daemon's not home honey. You can tell me if you need something."

I hesitate for a bit before telling him the matter.

He nods. "No one's going to pressure you. If you don't want it then you're allowed to say no. It's just a suggestion."

"Do you think I should see a therapist?"

"Yes. Personally I think it'd help. But it's up to you."

I thank him for the advice with a small smile. He looks amazed.

"Come I'll make you lemonade. You should have more fluids in you."

I follow my brother with the smile still on my face.