𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏.

Ophelia

"Good, that's it for today and don't forget about the internship information day friday. It's mandatory for all last year students!" My professor releases the class after that and I grab my stuff and put it in my bag. I make my way outside the building greeting people I know.

As I step outside I feel the first spring sun rays on my face. I smile to myself when I realize spring is coming and that means just a couple of months until I graduate. I'm looking forward to finishing college, but have no idea what I want to do next. Most of my peers are going on to get a masters degree, but I am really done with school for the time being. I've been studying since I was four, a gap year wouldn't be the worst thing.

Pondering about my future I'm walking the road home. It's a 45 minute walk and I could take the bus, but with the nice weather I'm in a good mood and I'm free for the rest of the day so I was in no rush to get home. I put in my earplugs and scroll to Spotify to find my summer playlist.

When the first song has barely started my music cuts out. I look at my phone and see Sabine is calling me. I swipe the green cone and pick up the call.

"Don't say anything negative, I'm in a splendid mood because of the sun," I say. I hear a laugh on the other end of the line. "I was just calling to tell you to slow down." I turn around and see Sabine walking a view yards behind me.

"Need me to wait for you?" I say, while picking up my pace to a backwards jog. She starts jogging as well "Lia this isn't funny, I'm tired from my morning lectures." I hear her panting into her phone.

I stand still on the side walking, waiting for her to catch up to me.

"Your condition sucks." I say while she leans her whole body weight on my shoulder, panting like a worn out dog. "Shut up" She points a finger at me for scolding her. I laugh and start walking again.

"Come on, it's only 30 minutes to your place." I take one of my earplugs out and give it to her. Sabine takes it so we can listen together to the music.

After a couple of minutes Sabine breaks the silence. "Do you know what you're going to do with the internship?" She asks. I sigh, "No, not yet. I think I need to find some form of journalistic company or a paper that would take me on for two months. You?"

"I asked Dave if I could run the café for two months under his supervision. It's not completely the business internship I want, but it meets the mandatory requirements." She answers. I nod at her.

Sabine studies business. She is super smart and has a talent for networking. If you need someone in a particular work field she always knows someone. "Maybe you can keep an eye out for something that fits me?" She smiles and nods, "yeah sure, Do you have a preference for work or just journalism in general?"

"Something in the media would be preferred, but writing for a paper or magazine would be nice too." She nods again and the silence returns as we listen to the music. Sabine starts bobbing her head to the beat.

"What's this called again? It's old," she laughs. I look at my phone and shrug. "Killer queen, from Queen. I just like the sound, but yes it's old." As I keep looking at my phone a feeling of guilt is building in my stomach.

I still didn't have the guts to call him.

I glance at Sabine who is fully focused on the song, so I go into my Tinder and find the chat with Lando. I've looked at his number for three days and if I don't call now I need to wait until after the next race. I copy the number and go to my contacts to save it.

"I guess you didn't call him yet?" I shoot my head up and see Sabine looking at my phone. There's no chance of hiding it so I just sigh. "No, I'm just too nervous."

"You want me to be there?" She asks.

I think for a second, but then shake my head. "No thanks, I just need to grow a pair and call him. I'll do it tonight." I make this promise more to myself than to my friend. She smiles reassuringly, "It'll be fine, you have nothing to lose babe." She gives me a hug and I smile too. "But you're first coming home with me so I have a good excuse to ditch my study work for the rest of the day. Let's get take out!" She starts hopping and pulls me along the street. I laugh and together we continue on our way through London.

***

The door falls into the lock and I rest against it for a second. I kick off my shoes and walk to my bedroom. I don't need Ashley walking in on my first call with this guy. She is at work, but her shift would be over soon and I'm just the person to have such luck.

I tap the back of my phone with my nails before unlocking it. I stare at the homepage with a photo of Ashley and Sabine that was taken at our first downtown coffee trip. Then I open my contacts, but close it again after a few seconds.

Why was this so hard? And why am I still in denial? I liked the guy two weeks ago, that isn't just gone. His funny remarks and flirty text did more to me than I will ever admit. He's kind and considerate. And if he is Lando Norris he is very good looking. I take a deep breath and open my contacts again where I scroll down to the L. My finger finds the name Lando and hovers above the blue cone for a moment. I need to do this, I tell myself, otherwise I will maybe miss out on a crazy big adventure.

I didn't used to be so scared of the unknown, but he changed that. It's been almost three years, and I don't want to feel scared anymore. We will just see what happens and Sabine already said it, I have nothing to lose.

I tap the blue cone and watch my screen change. I put it on speaker and wait, and wait, and wait. My heart is pounding in my throat and I feel my hands getting clam. I lay the phone down to wipe my hands on the bed sheets. I focus on my breath that started shaking and I still wait, listening to the phone still calling out. It's been almost half a minute and I pick up my phone from the bed. The waiting feels like an hour and I almost want to end the call when I suddenly see the conversation time running. I stiffen and can't utter a word. I feel sweat breaking out while I wait for someone to talk. And then I hear him.

"Hello?"

--