Scene 20

Lena

It's insane how nervous I am about seeing Jase. We haven't been together since we were together in every sense of the word. That night, I'd fallen asleep in his arms, then been roused early in the morning by a hard dick between my legs. He'd obviously been having a good dream, but he woke quickly when I started petting him, and we screwed slow and languid, him filling me from behind and holding me tight until we climaxed and drifted back to sleep.

When I woke again, he'd already left, but fresh coffee was in the pot and a bagel had been removed from the freezer, ready to be toasted. I have to admit, his making me breakfast just about wrecked my heart. It was such a sweet gesture, and not what I'd have expected after an evening of filthy sex with no promises of commitment. Karson never thought of me in the morning, and come to think of it, nor did most of my exes, which raises the question: am I attracted to men who are self-obsessed?

Ugh. I need to do some serious reflection, but for now, it's time to get my head on straight. I don't know how Jase will behave around me, especially considering I asked him not to tell anyone about us, but he wants to see me, so that's a good sign. Right?

Anyway, this is work. Strictly work. At least, for as long as it takes me to secure his agreement to attend a charitable fundraiser. Hopefully I won't have to twist his arm too hard, but I get the feeling Jase prefers to stay out of the limelight when it comes to this kind of thing. Strange because he seems so comfortable in front of an audience when he's in the cage.

After taking care of my office-based duties, I drive to Crown MMA Gym, park outside, and let myself in. Just inside the entrance, I encounter Devon Green. A massive grin spreads across his face and he yanks me into a bear hug, nearly lifting me from the ground. A squeak of shock escapes me, and he sets me back down, holding onto my shoulders until I'm steady.

"Thank you," he says, voice full of emotion. "I knew you could dig Jase's stubborn ass out of that hole he got himself into."

Touching my hair to make sure it's still in place, I return his smile. "We're only halfway out of the hole, but I think he'll pull through."

"So do I." He claps me on the back, and the force of it sends me reeling, the breath lurching out of my lungs. "Oh, my bad. Forgot you were such a delicate thing. Sorry about that."

Recovering, I glare at him. "I'm not delicate, you're just a giant."

He backs off, hands raised in peace. "Easy, Lena. That wasn't meant to be an insult."

I bristle. "Would you take 'delicate' as a compliment?"

"Well, no," he admits, running a meaty hand through short black hair. "But I'm a guy. You're a—"

"Oh. Hell. No." I'm not having this conversation. Devon Green is a Neanderthal, and that's all there is to it. "You're welcome," I tell him, then add, "But you can stop talking now before you make it worse."

"Great job, Dev." This wry comment comes from Gabe Mendoza, who appears behind him and offers me a hand. His grip is firm and warm, and far more pleasant than being crushed. "Seriously, thanks. What you're doing means a lot to us, although Jase probably won't tell you that himself."

"He has," I say, earning raised eyebrows from both of them. I look past them, into the gym. They're blocking the entrance. "And you're both welcome. Can I come in?"

"What?" Gabe asks, even as Devon recognizes the situation they've put me in and scuttles out of the way. "Oh."

Slipping my shoes off, I glance around until I see Jase bouncing on the balls of his feet in front of a speed bag, his fists nothing but blurs. I watch for a moment, enjoying the way sweat gleams on his skin and his muscles flex and bulge as his powerful arms move. Eventually, a timer blares and he steps away and mops his face on a towel. When he turns, our eyes catch, and a flutter-volcano erupts in my soul.