Scene 21

Lena

I have to say, the whole post-sex snuggling thing is growing on me. I have no idea how a guy who's all flat planes and hard angles manages to be so wonderfully cuddly, but he is. He's like my own sexy teddy bear. My own naked sexy teddy bear, whose cock is rapidly hardening against my butt. Just as I'm about to roll over and see if he's up for more, my phone rings.

Jase's arms tighten around me. "Ignore it."

I hesitate. I'd love to, but it could be work. When I grab it, the caller ID reads: Work Wife.

"Hey, Bree," I answer, raising it to my ear.

"Hi, girl!" she exclaims, almost drowned out by traffic in the background. "I have the best news."

Heart hammering, I sit up. "Oh, yeah? What's that?"

Bree pauses to talk to someone else, and I wait for her to return. "I'm telling you this because you're kickass at your job and I want good things for you, but it goes against my instincts, because I don't want to be trapped in that hellhole alone every day."

"What is it, Bree?" I demand. "I have a naked man in my bed, giving me sex eyes."

I know her so well I can picture the exact way her lips form an 'O'. Jase waggles his brows, and mouths, "Who is it?"

"Who?" Bree asks breathlessly. "Ohmygod, tell me he's hot."

"Yeah, he's hot." I wink at Jase. "Tell you more tomorrow. How about you explain why you called?"

"I want to know more now," she complains. "You're the worst girlfriend ever."

"I'll tell you tomorrow," I repeat. "Bree..."

"Yeah, yeah." She sighs, and some of the noise behind her fades away. "You didn't hear this from me, but Englewood is hiring."

Excitement floods my veins and I clutch the phone tighter. Englewood is the public relations firm run by my idol, Maria Englewood. I listened to her speak at a conference once, and she blew my mind.

"Seriously?"

"I wouldn't lie to you, Lee. You need to apply for that job."

"You think I have a chance?"

Jase jackknifes up, a frown furrowing his forehead. When I wave away his concern, he sets his lips on the side of my neck and sucks. I can't help the little moan that escapes.

Bree shrieks with laughter, so loudly I have to hold the phone away from my ear. "You're getting it on with him right now, aren't you? Dirty girl."

"No," I protest, but that only encourages Jase, who flicks his tongue over my skin and hums like I'm the best thing he's ever tasted.

"You so are. I'm going to make this quick. Yes, you have a chance. You're as good as anyone else. Now go get some, and then submit your application."

"I will, thanks, Bree."

Jase takes the phone from me, ends the call, and tosses it aside. "What was that about?"

Before I can answer, he slides a hand down my belly and cups my sex, pressing in the most delicious way.

My head falls back onto his shoulder. "Doesn't matter."

"It does to me," he murmurs, but slips a finger into the wetness that's already forming between my thighs. "What's going on, cutie pie?"

My hips buck, and I ride his hand. "I can't think when you're doing that."

He stops, and I growl in frustration. "Talk to me."

"Fine." Sensing he's not going to get busy with me until he's heard what Bree had to say, I turn to face him and pull the sheet between us to separate my horny body from his. "That was a friend of mine from work. She was telling me about a job she thinks I should apply for."

His brow quirks up. "You don't like the job you have?"

I bide my time in replying, not wanting him to take this the wrong way. "Most of my job involves covering for spoiled jocks who think they can get away with anything, and that's not where my heart is. No offense."

His jaw clenches, like my words hurt him, but he gives a jerky nod. "What would you rather be doing?"

Rolling onto my side, I drag the sheet with me, and he does the same, propping himself up on his elbow.

"I want to work with women who have been unfairly sidelined, or people who are underprivileged. Someone for whom I could really make a difference."

He watches me with those unreadable eyes. "I think that's a really fucking cool dream. Is that what you'd be doing at this other job?"

"Maybe. The woman who runs it is amazing. I'd happily worship the ground she walks on, but..." I gnaw on my lower lip until he smooths a thumb over it.

"But what?"

"It's not a sure thing, and my manager, Adrian, promised I could have my choice of clients if I worked a miracle with you."

A teasing smile lights his face. "So you're using me for your career?"

"About as much as you're using me. The point is, I don't know if Englewood—that's the name of the firm—would even want me. If they did, there's every possibility I'd start at the bottom, doing similar work to when I started. I've already paid my dues at my current job, so maybe I should just suck it up and wait for it to finally pay off."

"Why wouldn't they want you?" Jase asks. When I laugh, he adds, "I'm serious. I've seen firsthand how good you are. They'd be stupid not to hire you. Anyway, so what if they didn't? It doesn't hurt to get in the ring and fight for what you want."

At this, I can't help but smile. Trust him to use an MMA metaphor. But he's right. The worst Englewood can do is reject me, and if Adrian knows I'm considering moving on, won't it increase my value to him?

"You know what? I think I will apply." I wriggle closer and kiss him. "Thank you for talking it through with me."

"No problem." He tears the sheet aside. "Now I'd like to claim my reward."

Slowly and deliberately, I trace my tongue around the outside of my lips. "I think that can be arranged."

He groans. Then I trail open-mouthed kisses all the way down his gorgeous body to his impressive erection, and take it in my mouth. Before long, he's groaning a whole lot more.