Scene 30

Jase

It's been three days since Lena bailed me out and I sent her away with nothing to remember me by except a bank transfer with a simple note: "thank you for everything". It's been three grueling days of training, and three lonely nights where I barely slept a wink despite having worked myself to exhaustion. Dwelling on Lena is painful, so I've focused all of my energy into avenging her the only way I can—by pulverizing Karson Hayes on international television. I'm going to make the fucker regret being born.

Although I haven't spoken to Lena, I've seen her twice. She dropped by to speak with Gabe, Devon, and Seth, but didn't try to approach me—perhaps I hurt her too much, a possibility I hate with a passion. None of them mentioned it to me, and I didn't ask. Frankly, hearing what's going on with her would mess with my head, and I can't afford that right now. Not when I'm determined to crush her ex.

It's Thursday afternoon, the day before the big fight, and everyone else has finished training. I should have, too. To be honest, I probably shouldn't be training at all today, but I need something to occupy my mind and everyone seems to sense it. Even hard-ass Seth hasn't tried to send me home. He just glowers disapprovingly and keeps reminding me not to overdo it.

I'm practicing my setups for a right overhand punch when Devon and Gabe come out of the changing room and cross over to me. Devon lays a hand on my shoulder while Gabe steps between me and the bag, narrowly avoiding a shot to the temple. He catches my fist and pushes it down to my side.

"This is an intervention," Devon says. "We're taking you back to your place, and we're going to watch some TV and chill."

I try to shake him off. "Not interested."

"We. Don't. Care," Gabe enunciates clearly.

"You've done enough, bro." Devon claps me on the back and steps out of reach, reading my mood. Gabe, on the other hand, stands steady. He doesn't care if he cops a punch. He's got something to prove to the world. Always has, always will. I guess being shouldered with a Golden Gloves champion for a father gives him a lot of expectation to live up to.

"We need to ice your hands and shins and go over your mental game," Devon continues. "Seth is coming too."

"He is?" This stuns me. Things must be serious for Seth to leave the gym. He practically lives here. None of us have even seen the guy's home, and sometimes I wonder if he just crashes on the gym floor. He's a great trainer, but he has even less of a personal life than we do. "Okay, I'll come."

I remove my gloves, grab my stuff, and follow them to the cars. We drive to my place, with Seth promising to be close behind. Inside, I leave Gabe and Devon in the living room while I shower. When I return, they're on the sofa, watching the sports news, and two buckets of icy water are waiting for me. Dunking a fist into each of them, I wince at the bitter chill.

"Why are we watching this?" I ask. Usually we watch re-runs of the opponent's last few fights and talk strategy at this point in the training camp, staying far away from the news in case they mention the upcoming event and psych us out.

Devon checks the time. "You'll see in a moment."

The door opens, and Seth strides in. "Your security is shit."

"Good to know," I mutter, having previously been under the impression it was top of the line.

"Shh," Devon hisses, and then the setting on the TV changes and Erin appears.

The air rushes from my lungs, and I snatch my fists from the frigid water, balling them. "What the fuck?"

I try to understand what's happening. Are they going to interview Erin about the assault charge? It would be perfect timing to throw me off for tomorrow. But if that's the case, why would my brothers make me watch it when I might otherwise have been able to remain oblivious until after the fight?

"Just wait," Gabe says.

The presenter finishes introducing her and gives the back story of her accusations, then finally invites her to speak.

I tear my gaze from the screen. "I don't want to hear this." I search desperately for the remote, but someone has hidden it. "Seriously, guys. Change the channel."

"Just watch," Seth grunts, and I do. Because when Seth speaks, we all listen.

What comes next shocks the hell out of me. Erin tells the truth. With tearful eyes, she admits to having lied about me hitting her. Then she apologizes. She fucking apologizes to me on live TV. What on earth is going on?

I watch, rapt, as she goes on to explain that the creep who assaulted her was actually Will Jones, but she'd hoped she'd be able to use the situation to manipulate me into taking her back.

I can't believe this is happening.

She's humiliating herself in front of the nation, and in doing so, saving my ass. But Erin doesn't do anything selflessly, so what is she up to?

"Why?" My voice is husky, but fortunately my brothers seem to understand.

"This is all Lena," Devon explains, and holds up a hand to silence anything I'm about to say. "I know you don't want to talk about her, but she made us promise you'd watch it so your mind would be clear for the fight tomorrow."

"She..." I'm struggling to wrap my head around this. "She did? But how'd she get Erin to back down?"

I'm the luckiest bastard in the world. I pushed an amazing woman away and she still saved my sorry self. Jesus, I hope I haven't ruined my chance with her permanently.

Is two weeks too soon to be in love?

Fuck no. I'm crazy about her, and she must feel the same way, right? Why else would she do all she has to fix my screwed-up life?

Devon shrugs. "No idea, and we asked. She didn't want to say."

A reluctant smile tugs Gabe's lips. "She's as stubborn as you."

My phone rings, and I rush to answer it, praying it's Lena. Caller ID shows it's only Nick, and disappointment floods me. I should've known it wouldn't be her.

"What's up?" I ask.

"Great news, buddy. I just got off the phone with your lawyer, and the charges against you have been dropped."

Gratitude overwhelms me. Lena. She's responsible for this. If I live to be a hundred, I'll never be able to thank her enough. "That's amazing, thanks."

"No problem." He pauses, then adds, "Rest up tonight. I'll see you tomorrow."

Ending the call, I scan the faces around me. "The charges have been dropped."

"Yes!" Devon fist-pumps.

Gabe's rare smile widens.

Seth just watches me with steady green eyes. "She's a fine woman. You'd better hold onto her."

I nod to my mentor. "I plan to."