Scene 35

Gabe

As Jase makes up with his girl and carts her from the arena amid a roar of approval, a pang of longing shoots through me. Despite my best intentions, I find myself seeking out Sydney.

God, she looks good tonight. She always does. Her cheeks are rosy, eyes bright, and she's watching the couple leave with a good deal of satisfaction, but possibly a little envy, too. I can relate. I wish I could lay claim to Sydney and her luscious curves and brilliant mind the way Jase just laid claim to Lena, but I can't. She's made it clear that when she decides to get serious with a man, she needs to be his priority. Unfortunately, I have too much to live up to, too much still to achieve, to give her the attention she deserves.

Someday soon, she'll find a guy who can give her what she needs, and the thought shreds me inside even though I know I'm not right for her. After all, on what planet would it make sense for a doctor, someone who dedicates her life to helping people, to hook up with a brute like me? They might call me "The Mind-Reader" because of my smarts and speed in the cage, but when it comes to anything else, I'm no match for Sydney, and we both know it.

That doesn't make it any easier to know that one day I'll have to step aside and let some other guy be the one to make her smile. The one to touch her. Even thinking about it makes me so furious, I want to throw her over my shoulder and follow Jase the hell out of here. But when she does find that guy, I'll back off. For her sake.

Even if I know there'll never be another girl for me.