18

Happy Nisan Sales Event or something

When Alec approached the wooden ranch gate, all he saw was an old farmhouse and strawberry fields. He glanced towards the others. Magnus, Jace, and Clary seemed to be seeing something else entirely, eyes showing a mix of curiosity, wonder, and excitement between the three of them, while Simon looked about as confused as he felt. There wasn't really anyone there, and if the land wasn't as well kept as it seemed, he would've sworn it was abandoned with the state of the path up here. The wooden sign on the gate read "Delphi Strawberries." He got the reference, but he couldn't see how this could be the right location.

Nico straightened up, stopped them from passing, and seeming declared to thin air, "I give permission to the four Shadowhunters present and Magnus Bane to enter the camp."

Nothing visible happened, but Nico beckoned them forward, with Will and Chiron leading the way, passing through the gate. Alec made sure he exchanged glances with the others, still unclear on what they were walking into, but they had been granted permission all the same. It would be rude not to follow. This was important, there was no time to come up with an alternative. Alec followed Nico through the stony gate first, the others behind him.

As he stepped through, it felt like cool water and electricity were running over his skin, it wasn't unpleasant, just unexpected, but Alec was more distracted by the shift in the scenery around him. The strawberry fields and farmhouse remained, but a crystal-clear lake also appeared, along with cabins scattered about, formed into a Greek omega, but there were more nearby, some still in construction and reconstruction. It had everything expected of a summer camp, with the addition of a deadly climbing wall, an armory, an arena, and what could be a forge. In a way, it reminded Alec of Alicante in how it was so different, but the atmosphere was eerily similar.

Alec let the thought pass over him, demigods were really similar to Shadowhunters, so the familiarity made sense. They began descending into the valley where the camp was, and he managed to pick out a few faces. Most were children, with only a handful possibly being over 18, most seemed to hover between the ages of 11 to 17 with a couple of outliers both younger and older. He supposed that was a key difference, all of them were so young compared to the Shadowhunters. But he could see them wielding all sorts of weapons with accuracy and skill most would be hard pressed to match, even some of their most skilled. Alec supposed it made sense that Nico had managed to match Valentine as long as he had. Alec glanced at Magnus, who seemed to be just as enraptured by the general atmosphere and the overall sight of the camp.

A familiar, buff woman with a spear jogged up to their group, eyeing them suspiciously before talking to Chiron and the two demigods of their group.

"The counselors are gathered in the Big House for the war meeting," she announced, still giving Jace in particular a side eye.

Chiron nodded. "Of course. We don't have much time to spare. Our guests are going to be joining us for this meeting. Please go back on ahead and warn the others and tell them not to make a scene?"

She gave a curt nod before leaving, glaring at Jace once more, who just raised an eyebrow in response to her suspicion and possible aggression. Alec watched her go, before turning back to the centaur, who didn't follow.

"Aren't we going to go straight to the meeting?" Simon asked.

"Not yet." Chiron gave a heavy sigh, "They're going to... need a couple of minutes to calm down once the news reaches them. It's best to let it all calm down before we go inside."

"Speaking from experience?" Magnus offered.

Chiron gave a soft smile at the warlock's attempt to converse. "I've been working with teenagers since the dawn of time. The more things change, the more they also stay the same."