1

About a week after the war, Nico was able to almost fully function again, and the seven demigods except for Leo(though something about Leo's death bothered Nico), plus himself and Reyna, were called to Olympus to receive their "rewards". Things went as expected, Percy turned down immortality and godhood a second time while arguing for a better life for demigods on the world below, and spots on the Olympian council for Hestia and, to Nico's surprise, Hades. However, it wasn't as surprising to Nico when both gods declined Percy's offer. In the end, nothing was really accomplished but Percy having the Gods make more promises to help demigods lead a better life, something Nico was skeptical about.

The "rewards" however, at least for Nico in particular, was quick healing done by Apollo himself, and Zeus's word to not smite the demigod out of existence if he were to become airborne, and Posiden also agreed to allow Nico into his domain, albeit less dramatic over the whole ordeal, saying something along the lines of, "this kid's alright, I'll make an exception". No one really "got" anything, except for Annabeth who got a new laptop and the right to rebuild Olympus.

Something Nico was not expecting, was a summons from his father. After sneaking away from Wil to go do some "underworldy-magic" Nico appeared in Hades's throne room and knelt in a formal greeting.

"At this point, you have well earned the right to stand tall before me, or any other god for the matter, my son." Hades praised, and almost hesitantly, Nico straightened himself up and gazed upon his father.

The god sat upon his throne in the same way, manner, and dress that Nico saw every time he was summoned to the Underworld, but this time, his eyes shone with pride. Something within Nico moved, and warmth spread throughout his body. His father was proud of him. Thanatos stood by his side as well, a small some upon his face, while the throne next to Hades remained empty, meaning Persephone was absent.

"Now, I hardly call what Zeus offered you a proper reward for what you have done and accomplished throughout the past few months. You were the first contact between the Greek and Roman demigods in 60 years and was able to hide among them without raising a question. You discovered the location of the Doors of Death unaided, and ventured through Tartarus alone, and can out intact. You transported the Athena Parthenos from Rome to New York, encountering trouble and persevering along the way. Finally, you were instrumental in the final battle against Gaea. My son, I am proud of all of your accomplishments.

"However, praise is not all you deserve, but a physical reward for your triumph," At this point in his speech, Nico didn't know where it was going. Hades stepped off of his throne, and approached Nico, scaling down to human height, laying a hand upon Nico's shoulder. Nico tensed but quickly relaxed, despite the unexpected contact.

"The first thing I give you is an enhancement of the abilities you already possess, you should no longer tire out as quickly while using your powers and find you can use them more freely than before."

From the point of his father's touch, Nico felt a cold sensation wash over him, almost violently, as if ice water had been poured over his head, he stiffened and gasped at the sudden adrenaline spike, but did his best not to be too noticeable. Hades smiled as warmly as the Lord of the Underworld could.

"The second is up to you to accept," Hades began and Nico gave him a confused look, "I will not force this upon you, but when you are done living your mortal life, either by the time of your demise or when you choose, there is a place by my side for you here, to help rule the underworld with me, if that is what you want."

Nico had been offered, not only immortality but to be heir to the underworld itself... he didn't know what to do with himself. Nico didn't know how to respond, didn't know if he could, he was struggling just to wrap his mind around the concept itself. Him, a god, ruling the underworld until the day he ceased to be... but there were somethings in his mortal life he still clings to and wasn't ready to abandon just yet. He... wasn't prepared for something like that anytime soon.