« The Hogwarts Express »

Chapter 6

The Hogwarts Express

As soon as their parents were out of sight, Percy separated from the group, announcing for the umpteenth time that he was a Prefect and that he was needed to perform the tasks that came with that title. The rest just nodded, unsure about how to respond to this declaration. 

Percy ducked into a compartment, at which point Fred and George seemed to take it as their cue to do various impressions of what Percy had just said. 

"Typical Perce, wanting to be with others of his-" 

"Distinguished status." George finished his brother's sentence.

The twins left them too, after spotting a boy with dreadlocks named Lee Jordan, who Harry figured was a friend of theirs. That left him, Ron, and Miles. The three found a compartment together, though Harry could tell Miles wasn't a big fan of the environment. At last, he got up. "I'll catch you a lot later, I'm gonna go see if I can find some friends," and left the compartment.

That left just Ron and Harry. "I haven't seen you much at your place." The redheaded boy started.

"I don't come out of my room much."

"Why not?"

Harry contemplated telling him about Dumbledore but knew that might just start more problems if Ron told his family anything about it. "I dunno, I suppose I like it there."

Ron shrugged. "Alright."

After that, the two boys continued to talk, and it was evident to Harry that they had a lot to discuss. Actually, it was more his listening as Ron went on, but he didn't mind. Ron asked him if he liked Quidditch, to which Harry responded he wasn't all too familiar with the sport. That set Ron off on a long yet somewhat interesting description of the game and rules.

The trolley witch came by shortly after Ron had finished on Quidditch. Having been given galleons to spend on the train by Miles, Harry bought nearly the entire cart stock, though he made sure to save plenty for his brother as well. As they ate the sweets, they talked more, and Harry knew he'd found a good friend in Ron.

"So Harry, what house would you like to be in?" Ron asked as he bit into a Jelly Slug.

Harry pondered the question. He'd thought about it a great deal last night but honestly wasn't sure. "Maybe Slytherin?"

Ron recoiled as though he'd been slapped. "Why on earth do you want to go there?"

"It seems nice."

The redheaded boy just gaped at him. "You've got to be joking. Harry, there's not a single wizard that went bad who wasn't in Slytherin!"

"So? That doesn't mean you can judge the whole house."

"Well, I'm going to go to Gryffindor. My whole family's been there." He paused. "So were your parents, you know."

Harry shook his head. "I don't know... I suppose I'll just see what the hat has in store for me."

Ron was now trying to catch an escaped Chocolate Frog. "Good luck with that mate."

After leaving Harry and Ron, Miles set off down the train. He was going to join them again soon, but before that, he wanted to meet his other friends. As he was walking down the train, he bumped into the trolley witch.

She smiled at him. "Anything from the trolley dear?"

Figuring he might as well get something, Miles replied, "Bertie Bott's please, if you've got 'em."