« Listen »

Chapter 21

Listen

Miles tried to convince himself that Draco hadn't meant it. They'd almost made up for the previous incident, but this latest one vetoed all that progress. He couldn't believe Draco would use that word with Hermione. 

He knew that for Draco, it probably wasn't uncommon to hear it around his house, but that was no excuse. He understood that hearing something over and over could change your views about it, but the m-word? That was taking it too far. 

That was what led Miles to make his way to the library the next day after dinner, and found Hermione poring over thick volumes at a table by herself. He wandered up to her.

"Hullo," he greeted, not wanting to startle her. 

She jumped anyway. "Oh, Miles, it's you."

"What're you doing?" he asked, standing beside her and looking at the book she was currently immersed in. "Death days?" he asked, staring at the chapter title. 

"Oh yes, Nearly Headless Nick invited us to come to his party tomorrow. It's been 500 years since he... died." Her enthusiasm faded away as she realized that wasn't something to be all too happy about. 

"That's interesting."

"Speaking of his party, he wanted to invite you as well, though he wasn't sure how the Bloody Baron would take it."

Miles suppressed a shudder at the thought of the Slytherin house ghost, who didn't bother anyone but was still a rather intimidating presence in his own right. With his tattered, bloodstained roads and clanking chains, not to mention his quick temper, the ghost was to generally be avoided.

"I can see why. Reckon he wouldn't be too pleased. I'd be happy to come though."

Her face brightened. "Great! Meet us outside the Great Hall before dinner?"

He tried to hide the disappointment on his face at the thought of missing the Halloween feast. However, Hermoine noticed and gave him an amused grin. "Don't worry, you can leave early to go to the feast if you'd like. I think Ron's got the same idea as well."

Relieved, he gave her a genuine smile back. "Then I'll be there. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye," she said, and as he looked back, he saw her poring over the book once more, not giving any indication that she had been interrupted mere seconds prior. 

Miles was about to make his way out of the library before a voice came out of one of the rows of shelves. "You're still friends with her?"

He whipped around, staring unblinkingly into the eyes of the figure that emerged from the row. "You know the answer to that Draco."

"Why?" the other boy's tone was scathing, though there was a genuine question in his voice, as though he physically could not comprehend why Miles would talk to Hermione.

"Because she's nice, and I don't judge people based on their blood status." he raised a pointed eyebrow at Draco, daring him to retaliate. 

Instead, Draco's reaction was something that Miles could never have predicted. He grimaced apologetically. "I'm sorry," he muttered.

Miles paused in sheer shock. "Could you- could you repeat that?"

"I'm sorry." The words rang out clearly, and Miles could hardly believe it.

"You mean it?"

"It was wrong of me to say. It's just... father..."

Miles nodded sympathetically. Draco had apologized, that made all the difference. He knew for a fact that he couldn't expect a similar response from any member of the Slytherin quidditch team. And out of all of them, Draco, who never apologized no matter what the nature of the matter was.