« Discussion »

Chapter 26

Discussion

Miles trailed behind his head of house, shoulder-to-shoulder with Harry. He tried casting his brother a reassuring smile, but Harry wouldn't meet his eye. Disappointed, he shifted his focus to the cobblestones. 

He wondered why Snape had requested he come along too, although he didn't mind. It gave him a chance to be there to support Harry, whether he wanted it or not. 

At last, they reached the twin gargoyles that led to Dumbledore's office. "Fizzing Whizbee," Snape commanded, and the gargoyles instantly jumped aside, making room for a golden staircase. The three stepped upon it and were taken up to the Headmaster's office.

Snape rapped sharply on the oak doors when they arrived, and Miles waited in tense silence with Harry as they heard a brief shuffling inside. Moments later, the old man was ushering them inside. "Come in, come in." 

Dumbledore strode swiftly to his desk, sitting down and folding his fingertips before staring at them all curiously. "Severus, why have you brought the Potter boys here today?"

Harry sat down in the chair across from Dumbledore's, the desk between them. Professor Snape seemed to take pity on him, for he encouraged Harry. "Potter, tell Professor Dumbledore what occurred at today's Dueling Club meeting."

Hesitating briefly, Harry eventually began to explain the events of his duel with Draco, the snake, and how he'd been trying to ward it away from Justin.

Miles watched him quizzically as he listened to his brother's recounting of the incident. He wished he could speak for him, but he didn't know how to speak Parseltongue. How had Harry managed to speak it anyway? To his understanding, it wasn't something that could be learned, rather, you had to be born with the ability. It would certainly support his placement in Slytherin if that was the case.  

After Harry had finished recounting the events of that evening, Dumbledore reached for a quill on his desk, twirling it around in his hand as he mulled over Harry's words. Miles shuffled his feet, feeling the tension building up in the room. He stopped, however, when Snape cast him a sharp glance, a silent reminder to keep his composure. 

At last, the old man spoke. "Thank you Harry for bringing this to my attention. It shouldn't be much of a problem for now, so if that is all, you are dismissed."

Miles gawked at the Headmaster. Was he serious? He glanced up at Professor Snape, to see that he was also struggling to maintain a straight face. 

"Headmaster... Potter's ability to speak Parseltongue could perhaps be a result of a certain altercation with someone we know." Snape said pointedly. 

Dumbledore sighed. "Boys, you may leave now. Professor Snape, I would like a word."

To his credit, Snape nodded solemnly. Miles felt a sense of respect wash over him at the man's dignity. Judging by the terse way Dumbledore had asked for an audience with him, Miles could only assume that the old man was not pleased. Miles could barely stand him when he was in a good mood, he didn't want to imagine what Dumbledore would be like when he was even mildly irritated.

Silently, Miles made his way to the door. Harry, however, stayed put, glaring at the old man. "If I have anything to do with what you're going to talk about, I want to stay here too!"

Miles internally groaned. Of course, he had to say something. He attempted to guide his brother towards the door. "Harry, I think we should-"

"No!" Harry shouted, wrenching himself away from Miles. 

"Stop!" Miles raised his voice too. "You're acting like a child!"

"I am not!" Harry's face was turning beet red in outrage.