Chapter 1: [UPDATED] A Deal

My name is Reed Rose.

...

I hate my last name.

Anything that reminds me of home is something I try my absolute best to avoid.

Why is that?

Ruby and Yang. My...sisters.

For reasons I have yet to figure out, I wasn't exactly loved by my family. I'm sure my parents seemed really nice and fun to my sisters and other family friends.

But to me?

It's almost like my family was possessed by some other worldly God. I was neglected. My parents picked their favorite and thought it was such a smart idea. There's one thing to pick a favorite...but to neglect a child completely? There's no excuse for that. I think.

I ran away when I was 8 years old and had to teach myself everything I've known. To say it was easy would be a complete and utter lie. I found a cabin around the same area as my old house. It had most essentials. A bedroom, a generator, a bathroom, a kitchen. While there was already food and water in the cabinets and fridge, surprisingly still fresh, it didn't last long.

There was a rifle hidden in the corner of the bedroom called Tex Mechanica. Back then I didn't know how to pronounce that word so I simply referred to it as Tex and it has stuck ever since.

Tex was my main source of entertainment and survival, having to hunt down animals just for food. Imagine an 8 year old having to hunt? You'd think your old family would be heartbroken...but I doubt mine would feel a thing. And as a result of me wanting to disconnect myself from that family, I wear green contacts over my silver eyes. Not many people have these eyes so I could easily be identified.

I'm the spitting image of a male Ruby. My long black hair with red tips at the end and silver eyes give it away. As a result of the hair, I pull it back into a bun which surprisingly covers the red tips pretty well. It's a safe and easy option to be unrecognizable for the most part. But I made one slight error...

.

.

.

2 years ago when I was 15 I met an older man named Ozpin. He's an interesting guy, he always seems aware of everything like he's omnipotent. I've had my fair share of conversations with him and he's good company for someone like me. He's almost like a distant relative kind of figure to look up to. From the times I would have chats with him, I learned he was the headmaster of this nearby university called Beacon. It used to be one of these "Huntsmen Academies" hundreds of years ago to fight these creatures called "Grimm" yet I don't know if any of it is true. According to Ozpin it's true but I've just assumed he's simply telling me a story about a myth.

There's this other thing he's in on called "The Trade" which is the Faunus trading system. By that point in my sheltered life I had never met a Faunus before. Times when I'd do little jobs for workers out in the plazas or...more morally questionable jobs for some people, I would hear about these Faunus but I had yet to see one. Not knowing what they were, I asked the professor if he could tell me about them.

Ozpin: "Many people have different interpretations of the Faunus. Some would say vile beasts and some would say the unluckiest beings in Remnants history. To be as objective as possible, they are humans with animal features. An example would be...hmmm..."

He pulled out his scroll and went online to gather an image for me. He gets one and puts it on the table for me to look at. It's a naked girl with cat ears and a tail...

Ozpin: "A Cat Faunus. Every Faunus has at least one trait belonging to an animal that they're based off of. So with her being a Cat Faunus, she has a tail, cat ears, eyes the same color as a cat, so amber or green, and enhanced hearing and vision."