xliv. i could

"why are you heading back inside the building? we all have to go home," shinsou asked, a hand in his dark blue-green pants.

your breathing staggered from running. when did he get here? why didn't you notice him before?

"i had left my notebook back inside my class. why are you still here?" you shot back in between huffs.

he did a double take. "i saw you running back into yuuei, so i stopped to question you. why are you getting so defensive?"

you shook your head, breathing was now steady. "i'm sorry. i didn't mean for it to come off as rude. i don't want to miss my train and i was taken aback by your sudden confrontation."

he nodded. "it's okay. i can wait for you if you want-"

"NO!"

once again he was taken aback. "no?" he asked.

you shook your head, nervously rubbing the nape of your neck. "i didn't mean to yell. adrenaline is pumping. you go on without me. i'm sure you don't want to miss your train either."

he quirked an eyebrow. "okay. talk to you later?"

"sure! we haven't spoken in a bit, so it'll be nice to catch up." he nodded once more.

"talk to you later, l/n."

you smiled. "yeah. talk to you later, shinsou."

turning around, you started running once again to retrieve your "notebook". you felt his eyes on you the entire run until you entered the school's front doors.

he stared, a hand still in his pocket. today was exceptionally windy. leaves blew all around him, one of which landed into his lavender locks.

he used his other hand to pluck the brown leaf out of his hair. he closed his eyes, letting the wind blow around him.

"l/n, you sure are mysterious."

your footsteps echoed through the now-empty hallways. they've always been full of students and staff; always noisy. being able to hear the school rest brought you peace.

orange hues shone through the glass of ua, reflecting off of everything it touched. the sky outside was littered with pink clouds and an orange sky. the sun peeked over the trees, its vibrancy glimmering through the trees.

it was beautiful.

would you be able to experience again?

a lock of yellow hair from around the corner caught your eye. "all might?" you called out, your voice bouncing off of the walls.

the skinny legend himself peered around the corner, his face now in view. "hello, young l/n."

you waved at him. "did you forget something, all might?"

"no. i wanted to speak with you."

you shifted under his gaze, now nervous. "did i do something wrong?"

his eyes changed. "yes and no."

your fingers fiddled with the hem of your skirt. "is it regarding the plan tonight?"

his face didn't change. "you do understand how difficult this is going to be, correct?"

you nodded. "yes i do."

"a lot of people are going to become injured. some might even die. there are going to be things you have to decide on. this is life or death, young l/n." his hands shook beside him.