Part 5

Your ankle improved drastically over the next few days. Mot continued to check on you and help you whenever you needed it, but there was a noticeable physical distance between the two of you. He stayed just close enough to help if needed, but made sure not to touch you unnecessarily.

The summer sun beat down on the two of you as you sat in the courtyard with the cats. You laid on the warm ground, a couple of cats rubbing against your sides. Mot sat nearby, Tifla curled on his lap. You sighed contentedly and propped your leg up on your knee, wiggling your foot.

"Your ankle seems better." Mot watched your leg as it bounced.

"Oh, yeah, it feels great." You turned towards him, giving him a small smile.

"I'll take you home in the morning, then." He stroked Tifla, who yawned sleepily.

"W-what?" Your eyes widened.

"You should only need help getting to the main road." He continued.

"Wait." You sat up.

"You'll be fine on your own after that." Mot ignored you, staring down at Tifla.

"So soon though?" You sat up on your knees. You knew that you'd obviously be going back home soon, but you hadn't expected him to bring it up now.

"It's been three weeks." He glanced at you. "You should be happy to go home."

"B-but how will I know how to come back? Can I get a map or...or...." Mot snorted at your question.

"Don't be delusional. You're not coming back." He stood up, setting Tifla down on a bench.

"But-" You got up, following ‌him as he started walking to the door.

"But what?" He turned to face you. "You really thought you'd just wander out of the district whenever you pleased?"

"I...didn't really think...." You fiddled with your sleeves.

"Clearly." Mot walked back into the house and you followed close behind. "It's for the best."

"For the best? You don't mean that." You stayed close on his heels.

"I do." He walked to the throne and sat down on it, not sparing you a glance.

"So you won't miss me at all?" You stood in front of him, crossing your arms.

"Not even a little."

"You're lying." You couldn't believe he was starting this again. You knew things were far from perfect between the two of you but you didn't think you were somehow back at the start. 

"Why would I lie?" He stared down at the arm of his chair, scratching at the wood with his finger.

"And what about what happened the other day in your room?" You were doing everything you could to keep your composure.

"A mistake." You walked up to Mot and took his face in your hands, forcing him to look up at you.

"You don't get to use that excuse twice." You scowled.

"Then what do you want me to say, little bug?"

"The truth, Mot." You moved closer, standing between his legs.

"The truth....I...." he studied your face, his own contorting into a range of emotions. He closed his eyes and sighed deeply. "Stay." His voice was quiet.

"Really? You want me to stay?" Your heart raced.

"That's what I said." Mot grumbled, looking away from you.