Chapter 7

I realized I'd been grinning in my sleep when I felt something poke my cheek. Opening my eyes, I immediately looked up, knowing I would find his smile, and I did. "Nice dream, huh?" Chris teased, his green grass eyes twinkling, as they usually do in the morning, when he wakes up.

I stretched a little. "Very."

"What was it this time?"

I stuck my tongue out to him as I sat up in bed. "You know my policy about dreams."

"Come on, you know that doesn't count for me." He complained, sitting up as well.

"It does, indeed." I chuckled, stretching a bit more. When I realized his shirt had rolled up, I mildly blushed, and quickly put it back to its place. I wonder whether it happened the same throughout the night. I don't move much when I sleep, especially because he holds me tight, but you never know.

"Do I need to tickle you into submission?" Chris threatened.

I laughed, yet stood up quick, because I knew he wouldn't have mercy otherwise. I stretched a bit more, then grabbed my phone. "Shoot," I cursed when I noticed what time it was, "I'm late for work." I should have known I'd sleep way too comfortably in his bed.

"I'm sure Bea can cover for you." Chris mentioned, stretching as well once he'd gotten up.

"She's an intern, she ..." I trailed off, getting lost at the night of his naked chest. That explains why I slept so comfortably and why it was so hard to let go.

"She what?" Chris asked, bypassing the bed to reach me. He frowned. "Are you ok?" He caressed my cheek.

I shook my head. "Yeah, I ..." I cleared my throat. Damnit, hormones, not now. "I need to get ready for work." I tried to move past him, but he stopped me, placing a hand over my hip.

"Are you sure you're alright?"

I smiled at his sweetness. "Yes. But I'm really gonna get fired if you don't let me move."

"Fine." He chuckled. "I'll take a shower, too." I wish we could share it. "Then I'll drive you."

I shook my head. "I need to be super quick. I'll see you at lunch?" He didn't seem too keen on it, but eventually he agreed, and let me go. Part of me wanted to call in sick and convince Chris to do the same, but ... that would have been childish, right?

--

"I know, I know, I'm sorry!" I apologized as soon as I got to my office and found Beatrice, my intern, there waiting for me.

"I didn't know what else to invent with Sheryl!" She complained, getting up from my desk.

"Why, was she looking for me?" I asked, taking off my coat. "I still have a couple of days for the next article."

Bea shrugged. "She said you need to drop that, and go see her. She has a new assignment for you."

"Again?" I rolled my eyes. It's typical of my boss, she changes her mind all the time. Sometimes we have to throughout the whole mockup because she wants to do something different. You'd think we have to keep up to date because we're this incredibly important fashion magazine or newspaper ... science, we talk about science. Or rather, it's a divulgatory magazine that comes out every month with different kinds of articles, science being a predominant topic.

"Yes, she said go to her as soon as you arrive, so ..." Bea informed me.

I didn't waste time, I headed straight out of my office to go see my boss. Before that, though, I turned back to my intern: "Talk to Susan, her article on Neandertals and humans was supposed to be ready yesterday. And see if Lance has the new cover ready, if he does, tell him to hold on until I see what's Sheryl's new brilliant idea."