Chapter 25

Sorry, this chapter is probably really bad, I'm just trying to get back into it, I was a little stuck with the plot 😖

🎇🎇

The hug lasted more than any other would and should have, mostly because I sincerely hoped it would work its magic, like every other time Chris took me in his arms. Yet it didn't. I did feel slightly better, but it wasn't as reinvigorating and refreshing as it had always been. Too much time, too much water under the bridge, I guess.

When Chris let go, he remained next to me, holding my hand. "How are you feeling?" He asked lowly, barely looking at me.

"Like a stupid fool." I sighed, falling back against the pillow yet not leaving his hand.

"What ... exactly happened?"

I eyed him for a moment. "You don't know?"

Chris took a deep breath, shaking his head. "In case you haven't noticed, I'm considered Undesirable Number One here." He bit his lips. "Laura, she ... she told your parents about ... what happened between us."

"Oh."

He winced. "Yeah, uh ... your dad managed to forget our entire history the moment he was told I broke your heart."

"Did he ..." My dad isn't a violent type, I doubt he would, but at this point you never know. Chris did look like he'd taken a beating from someone bigger than him, and my dad is quite the big bear type of man.

"No, no," Chris shook his head, his lips curling in a tight smile as he pointed at his black eye, "this ... was Shay."

"Shay?" I gasped, confused.

"We had ... a bit of a quarrel."

"That's an understatement." I frowned. Shane is never violent, for him to resort to this kind of confrontation, he must have been seriously mad. I mean, this is the guy that takes particular care of his hands because 'the hands of a surgeon are more precious than a pianist's ones". Granted that he's not a surgeon yet and he's often changed idea about the specialization he's actually going for, but that's what he usually says.

"It doesn't matter." Chris shook his head, squeezing my hand. "I want to know what happened."

"A car accident." I minimized, not wanting to say the full truth, which implied not only me dating once again the wrong man, but definitely falling into a trap of some sort. You'd think that at the age of 25, I'd have learnt to trust no one, but I guess I never will.

I might say that I've always been kept safely far from harm due to the man that was sitting beside me right now and that that's why I'm such a fool, but it would be unfair. I was blinded by the looks, the charms, the need to get away from my broken heart. That's all there is to it. And now I wound up in a hospital and pregnant.

"I heard he was ..." Chris bit his lips, as if wondering whether he should bring up the topic, since the last time we talked about Sebastian, we had our last fight.

"Yes, Sebastian was driving." I filled in, eyes on our entwined hands. I felt the heat, I felt the value of that connection, and yet it wasn't like in the past. Something was missing, better yet, something had cracked inside me, and it didn't allow me to fully benefit from that touch.

"Where is he now?"

"I don't know." I shook my head. "They said he was detained by the police, but I don't know why."

"I do."

Shocked, I looked up at Chris. His countenance showed a lot of emotions altogether, but mostly anger. "You do?"