HEARTLESS

Today I was supposed to be meeting with my therapist again and I was growing tired of these sessions

Today I was supposed to be meeting with my therapist again and I was growing tired of these sessions. They never helped me uncover how I truly felt and now I was feeling like it was a waste of my time. But I decided to give this one last try before I finally told my therapist that I was done with these meaningless sessions. She walked into the room and smiled at me before taking a seat in her usual chair. I laid on the couch, kicked my feet up, and closed my eyes. If I was going to do this, I had to be relaxed.

"So, I just want to jump right into things. I have been your therapist for a while and I feel like we still haven't uncovered the answers that you seek. So, today I'm going to take a different approach and hopefully we can get down to the bottom of why you feel the way that you do."

I agreed because she was a therapist not me. Besides, I was curious about this new approach that she was deciding to take. But before we could get started I needed to tell her about the conversation that I had with my father earlier.

"Before we start I need to tell you something. My father feels like I should kill Athena. He feels like if I do, I will no longer be infatuated with her. But I don't even feel like it's an infatuation."

She smiled weakly, "you seem a little confused. I want to help you and that's why I'm here. So, before we get into all of that I want to just recap on everything that we've covered since I've been your therapist." She bought out her clipboard and sat up straight. "You said that there was no abuse in your home between your parents, is that correct?"

"Yes."

"You said that growing up you were always trying to make your father proud. You didn't want to do anything that would displease him."

"Yes, that's correct."

"Do you think that going above and beyond to please your father has made you bitter? Because it seems like to me that you have missed out on a lot of opportunities, and things that you want to do because your father would not approve of it."

I thought about it for a second before responding. "Yeah, but I always felt like my father had my best interest so I never questioned him."

She took a second to write something down on her clipboard before continuing. "You said that your mother was always very loving and supportive of anything that you chose to do. You also said that you love your mother."

"Yes, I love my mother very much. She has always been very supportive of anything that I wanted to do and always encouraged me to fall in love and settle down."

"Your childhood was lonely but it wasn't as bad as it could have been."

I opened my eyes and stared up at the ceiling. "Yes, my childhood was very lonely but it wasn't filled with abuse. I was sheltered as a child because my parents wanted to protect me. So, there was a lot of things that I didn't see."