Chapter 1 | The Best Friend

Break My Heart Slow

A Teen Fiction By Ivy Lopez

Story inspired by the song "Baby, Don't you Break My Heart Slow" by Vonda Shepard

Eleanor' POV

Lily's his best friend since like they we're in diapers. So it means that she's also from England like Brandon. Her family moved here in America just a few weeks ago, for some reasons---I didn't bother to know. But then it made Brandon really happy. Since then I heard a lot about her from Brandon – MY boyfriend. Things about her were just real crazy, weird and out of this world. Well, just out of my world, I guess?

I don't get her. I don't like her. I'm not like her.

First off, was her choice of music, it was so... not my type. She likes listening to Korean pop music. Well I respect others' kind of music but what I can't understand with Lily is that she enjoys the kind of music that she doesn't even understand what the lyrics were saying. I mean with all those wonderful artists in the U.K why the hell did she love Kpop more? Uhm...Desperately not knowing the answer, I'll just settle with the "I respect others' kind of music" part to end this.

Then her sense of style, she is so not getting any score from a fashion expert like me. I mean she's like zero in fashion! I can't find the worst word that could describe it, you know? I think she has a collection of Jack Wills jumpers in different colors – those were the only outfits I saw her in. She wears them over her white t-shirts that have these weird prints all over, plus she wears this really huge nerdy glasses.

Next is the way she laughs out loud about almost everything, yeah I'm aware that "You only live once" but she's laughing like it was her last laugh ever, the sound's just so horrible to my ears. Like she's going to die soon and yeah the evil side of me really hoped she would just evaporate but then the angelic side of me has stopped every bad thought and made me realize that, AGAIN.... I have to understand other people.

Lastly, she acts weird. I saw her once talking to the plants, dancing like crazy along the street and giggling alone while reading a book. If Brandon wasn't there to make me understand what's going on with her then I might have sent her to the mental hospital myself. 'She believes talking to plants will make it grow better' – why she's talking to plants. 'She's listening to Kpop, she's a fanatic you know'- the time she dances along the street with headphones on and us simply walking beside her 'She is reading a really funny story' the time she giggles alone while facing a really thick book. Brandon always explained to me every this and that's of Lily, he surely know the answer to my every "What is she doing?"

But then again, Brandon has this kind of enthusiasm every time he talks about her, that I think I could never understand.

At first I was kind of interested to meet her not until I saw how close they really are and how weird she really Is (I can't just set aside that fact ,you know). They treat one another more than like siblings, Brandon told me that Lily's like a "little sister" to him----A LITTLE SISTER. (Let me emphasize that) But I can't help it, something's bothering me, something's making me feel that there is something more. Honestly, I can see that there's more than that, which made me somehow jealous. Not that jealous though, 'coz I know how Brandon really loves me. He loves me, didn't he?

But I am telling you, there is more with how the way Lily stares at Brandon and with how Brandon cares about her.

I tried not to build up things at the back of my mind, I tried to not care and to top it all, I am trying my very best to understand that best friends are JUST best friends---THAT'S A CERTAINTY.

~

(Morning babe. Sorry I can't fetch you eh? Lily needs a ride and yeah. We've talked abt this ryt? See you at school! Love you xx) I inwardly groaned after reading the message. "What a nice thing to start my day".