Chapter 4 | Was I Mistaken?

CHAPTER 4

Was I Mistaken?

"So the school had decided to let us join the interschool cheering squad competition. They talked to me and I am so glad to accept the offer, because..." I paused for a while looking at their excited faces one by one "They will grant us college scholarships if we win this competition!"

'Wow!'

'That's awesome!'

'Let's do this!'

I giggled as I hear the expected feedback from them; I knew so well that all my girls will be happy about this.

"As your team captain I am in charge for the overall performances, but bear in mind that this is team effort so I'm expecting everyone to work together and come up with different stunts and outrageous routines. Can we girls do it!?" I yelled with a big smile on my face, encouraging them to do their bests.

"YES!!!" they answered as they clapped their hands, giving the same enthusiasm as me. We are now all looking forward for the competition as it will totally make our dreams come true.

"Wow El! I couldn't believe the school is giving us this amazing opportunity!" Janice exclaimed as we both went our way towards the parking lot. I called an early pack up so my girls could have a long rest and get ready for the whole day practice tomorrow.

"Yeah, I know. That's why I've been so excited all day when I heard about the good news. I mean, I can't wait to finally break the news to you girls!" I happily answered.

"Well I'll see you tomorrow okay?" she kissed me on my cheeks.

"Yup! I'll see you" I answered, pressing the open button from my car key.

"Uhm. Wait." Janice held me by the hand losing the smile on her lips and then she narrowed her eyes somewhere behind me. "~is that Brandon carrying the geek?" she whispered but to me the sound is so piercing that it made my ear drums break. When she said the geek it only means Lily – Wait, Brandon is carrying who?

"Janice, what are you saying?" I said, uneasily. I frowned as my heart begins to beat fast making me aware of my sudden apprehension. For about five seconds my heart seems to struggle with my mind – I am thinking if I should turn around to where Janice was looking. My heart says to look to prove to her that she is seeing things wrong, that it is not Brandon, Brandon told me he has a football practice, he can't be with Lily this time, but then my mind says to not look because I completely know she can't be wrong, Brandon is the only person in this school who could give such care to that geek.

But I hated how my heart wins all the time. I turned around only to see that Janice was right, she was seeing things clearly. As clear as how I stammered when I see him carrying her, they we're both laughing like they're the only people living, like they don't care about the world around them – exactly how the way me and Brandon used to.

All of a sudden, the feeling of hurt was replaced by an intensifying fury. I feel like I can strangle them both. Brandon was carrying Lily in a bridal style and the geek seems very happy with her arms draped around Brandon's neck and their faces were too close to each other.

"What the hell are they doing?!" Janice asked disbelievingly, a tone of disgust on her voice. I closed again the door of my car and quickly approached the "cheaters-hiding-in-two-best friends- bodies", leaving Janice standing with jaws dropped. I went pass few chatting students on the parking lot not minding their curious glances, with closed fist and gritted teeth I found it hard to swallow or breathe because my heartbeat is now as fast as my walking pace.