29. Believe me, I like it even less than you do

There will be another update shortly after this one. Sorry, it took a little bit, I offered to redo my parent's kitchen this summer and have been working on that. It took a little longer than I was expecting.

No updates for the next few days though, cause I will be attending Comic Con. Super excited since this is the first time it's back in person since 2019.

Anyways, Enjoy!

Everly's POV

Zero called me while Gamma 12 and I were searching through the second of the bases Lydia had given me locations for.

Another agent had been taken.

We'd all stopped what we were doing and headed back to the airport. We'd waited for Agent 91 to come pick us up, and then he'd flown us to where she'd disappeared from.

Agent 43. Dark hair, dark eyes, 27 years old. Been with the agency since she was 14. Completed a great number of missions with her team, Delta 9. She'd been in the middle of a mission when she'd disappeared. Same as all the others. There was no evidence. No clues. Nothing. She just went and vanished. Just as Agent 34 had. Just as all the others had.

Still, something was off about this one. For one, if the mercenaries were following the same timeline they'd been sticking to, it was too soon. Too soon for them to be grabbing another agent. We were supposed to have more time. More time to figure it out. More time to find the missing agents. More time to prevent another one from being taken.

I hadn't had a lot of time to mull it over, since we'd left immediately and were already at the scene she'd disappeared from. Ian and Eric were speaking with the team members of Delta 9. Noelle and Tessa were on their phones, speaking with Zero and other members of the agency, trying to get any other information they could. The rest of us were looking around the area for any clues.

I had already noticed, however, that this was going to be even harder than the first time. Unlike where Agent 34 had disappeared, this place was not a busy street, nor a populated building, and there were absolutely no security cameras that would even catch a corner of this building. There were no cameras in the building either, we'd all already checked. The building was on the outskirts of a small town, down a dirt road a short way from a small two-lane road that would allow you to access the town.

As I walked back out of the building, I noticed that we'd drawn the attention of what small number of people actually lived in this town. And that someone had apparently called the Sheriff.

Ryan had been walking by my side and turned to look at me when he noticed the Sheriff. "You going to go talk to him, or would you rather I do it?"

I shook my head. "I'll handle it," I told him. "You and Alejandra start doing crowd control. We don't need anyone getting into the building and trampling whatever evidence may actually be in there."

He nodded and moved away as I went up and intercepted the Sheriff before he could go into the building or question Ian and the other agents.

"Can I help you, Sheriff?" I asked as I walked up to him, pulling my badge from my pocket and showing it to him as I did so.

He took the badge from me and a frown crossed over his face. "Can't say I've ever heard of your . . . organization."

I shrugged. "The objective of my organization is not to be recognized. I can put you on the phone with my supervisor if that makes you feel better." My eyes strayed to the name tag pinned on his chest just above the pocket of his button-up uniform shirt. Thompson, it read.

Sheriff Thompson looked at me dubiously, still holding my badge in his hands. "Now what good would that do me, if I've never heard of your organization? I don't know who you are and I don't know who you'd put me on the phone with."