Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The next morning when I headed downstairs, there was a man I've never seen before. Like come on. Sure, my system was getting accustomed to sudden changes. Let's say I just graduated high school, moved across the country, and got a new job. You know, just a hypothetical. At least I prepared for all that. But walking into the kitchen and seeing some random dude chilling first thing at 7:30 in the morning? That's just not fair, guys.

He was sitting next to Liz at the table, sipping coffee while on his laptop like a natural inhabitant. I wish I could say he looked out of place in his business attire, but Liz was clad in a white blouse, slacks, and cute wedges. So yeah, in my pajamas and messy hair, I looked like a bum compared to them.

My disheveled appearance isn't what grabbed the guy's attention though. When he saw me enter the kitchen, he smiled in amusement and shock. "Oh my god, Liz, you could have prepared me! She looks nothing like you! Look at that thick dark curly hair. You guys are not related, there is no way."

Might as well roll with it I guess. "Damn right I don't look like her. I would never dye my hair blonde," I joked.

"Hopefully you don't cook like her either. Constantly, I tell your sister to put some oregano in the eggs for flavor, but nope, she never listens. Or to at least buy fresh bacon instead of prepackaged tasteless garbage. For the few times she does cook."

"That sounds about right," I said, sitting down with a banana muffin. (I loved banana anything – and you are more than welcome to interpret that however you want).

Liz caught my gaze. "This is my co-worker David, the mooch that lives next to us."

"Oh, it's nice to meet you! I'm Josephine," I smiled. Thanks for the heads up, Liz. Would have loved to know he enjoyed early visits to our side of the wall. Or shit, maybe it was a late-night visit instead...? He put my theory to rest though.

He turned the laptop towards Liz. "Look at that. Your client would love that finished basement. All that needs to be replaced is that gaudy carpet." Then he looked to me. "By the way, since my bedroom is on the other side of yours, you may want some ear-plugs. I tend to raise a little hell with the men I bring home."

Liz laughed. "Oh yeah right! Jos, don't listen to this liar. You could press an ear to the wall and the only thing you may hear is his cat running around. And that was even before he was in a serious relationship," she added teasingly to him.

"Shut up, she doesn't need to know I'm in a committed relationship. It's hard for me to even admit."

"He's a dull and quiet old lady, Jos. Don't worry."

I scoffed in relief. "Good because I was scared for a minute."

"Old lady? You're one to talk since you look twice sister's age."

"She is 18 and only 11 years younger than me," Liz defended.

"Only," he snorted.

From where we were sitting around the table, we could hear mom getting ready on the second floor above us. Liz was going to drop her off at the airport on her way to work. Until then, she continued trying to include me in her conversations with David. Despite feeling like the third wheel, I could appreciate her efforts. It was nice knowing she wanted me to feel welcome and included.

Once her lively friend David left for work, Liz made a point to say, "I hope you're okay with him being over here sometimes. It's usually just for coffee in the mornings. Sometimes we carpool together depending on if our schedules line up that day."

"Does he have a key?"

"No, I always just unlock the backdoor for him." Looking to the clock again, she rolled her eyes. "Mom sure hasn't changed at all, has she?"